Introducing yourself to students...

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by hopscotch, Aug 17, 2008.

1. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

My first day of teaching will be this Tuesday (well, unless they cancel due to hurricane Fay, but that's a whole different issue! :eek:hmy:), and I'm trying to plan what I'll say for my "introduction of me." I know it's important to share a little about yourself with students, and I'm totally fine with that, but I'm wondering what's best to say and what's best to not mention.
    For instance, this is my first time teaching. I guess I should say that, but what's the best way to approach it?
    I'll probably talk about where I grew up, went to college, etc. Generic stuff.
    I was also thinking about showing a quick slideshow (4-5 pics on a powerpoint) of a few places I've traveled and of my cats, is that appropriate or too corny/personal? My husband is in one of the pics, is that a problem?

And lastly, what does everyone else here plan to share about themselves on the first day? It's almost here!

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

I wouldnt even say you are new sometimes they take advantage of this. I just tell a little about my hobbies likes interests. I tell about my kids one I have in Iraq. And not much else.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

No, no. I wouldn't say you're a brand new teacher. Fresh meat and all... LOL.

I just tell my kids a few things about me: where I'm from, where I went to school, stuff like that. I found that it's generally more natural to tell them things about me as the year goes on and topics come up through class discussion.

Honestly, they don't want to know anything about me on the first day except a) how I feel about letting students go to the bathroom and b) how much homework will I assign. :D

5. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Good point. I just figured I'd say that I'm new since it will probably be pretty obvious! That, and all my stuff still has the old teacher's name on it since I'm coming in at the very last minute. I guess I could just say I'm new to teaching at XYZ school, and leave it at that.

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

that's what I did. Our district requires us to maintain a web page on the district website and I put an about me section. I said that I was new to the district and the school but that I had experience in another district. I was careful not to say teaching experience since I was referring to student teaching, but I avoided saying that I was a brand new teacher.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I agree with everyone else that you should NOT say you are new! It's none of their business!! And they'll eat you up!! And NO...it should not be pretty obvious that you are new...as teachers, we have to do a lot of IMPROV acting. It's a survival tool! I also agree that you don't need to tell them much about yourself. Things will come up naturally during the year. All they really need to know is what is expected of them and what your rules and procedures are.

8. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 17, 2008

Definitely do not tell them you are new.

I usually tell the students where i am from, how long I have been teaching, and then a few interests I have outside of school (running, swimming).

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

This is about all they need to know! You can tell where you are from and a little about your family, but I would steer clear of pictures or too much personal informaiton- the beginning of the year is important for setting expectations and letting them know how you will run the classroom- they will learn more about you as the year goes on! Good luck! :)

10. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

I'm a new teacher this year, and in my introduction letter to the parents it says that I'm new to XYZ school, but very familiar with middle schoolers as I have worked with them for the past 4 years. I feel if I tell the kids in middle school that I am a brand new teacher, they will eat me alive!!

11. momtotk&b

momtotk&b New Member

Aug 24, 2008

I too will be new to teaching this year and was wondering what to say to the kids and what to put in my intro letter to parents. Thanks for the topic and ideas!

12. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

Rather than introducing myself this year, I made a bulletin board about myself in the back of my room. I put up some pics of my 7th grade year, things I like, recent pics with friends, etc. The kids loved it so much that I left it up all year. I still had students looking at it in June, trying to find me in the pic of my girl scout troop!

I have also been careful to say that I have had experience in various grades. Don't forget that you've worked hard to get here. If, by chance, the kids do find out that it's your first year, remind them that you have gone to school to do this, and that you had plenty of experience before you were hired.