Introducing the Academic Essay

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by NYTeacher83, Dec 28, 2010.

1. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

Hello all!

After returning from Christmas break, I'll be introducing the academic essay to my students. The topic to go along with the essay will be bullying and how it bothers people physically, mentally, and socially.

Upon returning to school, we'll work through facts/myths about bullying, read a short story and answer some comprehension questions about a student who is bullied, and we'll even be doing some role playing.

Now, I've already taught my students proper paragraph format. They seem to have a wonderful grasp on it (here's hoping it is still there when we return!).

I guess my question is, what other items should I teach to go along with the essay? I was thinking note taking, citations, and things of those nature.

Thanks for your help in advance!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

Notetaking and citations are a must. We have been working on note taking all year, but will begin citations after the break as well. Have you specifically taught them thesis and topic sentences as well as how to write them? That's been my big goal this year for academic writing.

4. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

I've already taught topic sentences. I'm planning on spending a week to two weeks on thesis statements. They've had note-taking in the past, but we need to do it on an appropriate level.

Glad to see someone else is focusing on similar topics as me!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

We do a lot of work on writing introductions with a thesis statement and conclusions. We also work quite a bit on topic sentences. I spend 70% of my year writing more formal papers and the other 30% writing creative writing papers. I find that many students come to sixth grade able to write creatively but have had little to no formal writing. Also, many of my colleagues only focus on a paragraph or two. It's amazing to see the writing that my students produce. I just wish that I could display more of it!

6. essyweb

essyweb New Member

Feb 8, 2011

babe picture is cute