Introducing Sight Words

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sdhamilton, Nov 12, 2006.

1. sdhamilton

sdhamilton Rookie

Nov 12, 2006

Hello all! I'm looking for ideas for daily introduction of sight words. I want to introduce 1 per day and have a lesson that goes along with it. Any ideas? How much can you do when you introduce "I"?:confused:

3. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Nov 12, 2006

I have pointers with the sight words on them, and I let students find the word in a big book or a sentence that I write on the board. 1 per day seems like a lot though.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2006

Well, one thing that we do on a daily basis is my helper will use a pointing stick and point to the words on the wall. We will either basketball the word or baseball the words.
    1. say the word- "the"
    2. spell- "t-h-e" (basketball- as we spell we move our hand down after we say each letter. Baseball- we move our hand like hitting a ball, but just short movements)
    3. say the word again- "the" (if basketball, we pretend to throw a ball, if baseball, we swing our arms all the way over, home run hit!)

We also rainbow write words. Trifold a piece of paper. Write the word in black in the middle. Kids trace over in crayon four times. Fold paper down, trace over again in 4 different colored crayons. Fold paper up and do this one more time.

We paint our sight words.

Put cut up sight words in an envelope. For example, the word "the" would be cut up into t, h, and e and placed into an envelope. Kids take an envelope and have to figure out what that word spells. I'm in the process of creating these, so I haven't actually seen happening in class.

Have kids search for sight words in big books or in little, take home books.

We also do journal writing where we focus on using these words in our journals.

Morning message- kids give me a sentance using these words and they help me to write the message. After we finish writing the message, counting the words, sentances, and spaces, I have the kiddos come up and circle the sight words and letters.

Just wanted to add that I teach Open Court and we basically introduce a new word everyday!! It's a lot, but my kids are handling it pretty well. I send home flashcards of our words for the unit in the beginning of our new unit, and so when I introduce a new word they are actually excited because many can already read them. I put the new word up on my white board and as they come in, they try to read the word.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2006

Another thing we do is look at the shapes of words. Tall letters we "snap" our fingers over our head, straight letters get a "clap" and letters with tails we "stomp".
    So a word like the would be a snap*snap*clap word
    my would be a clap*stomp
    the kids start looking at the letters more closely and this is just another way to help.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2006

Oooh, I like that idea!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2006

Oh, I just remember somthing else. I have a CD with over 20 common sight words on it. They are short songs but kids love them! We will sing the song, then spell the sight word in the air. If only I remember the name of the CD, somthing about Sing Sight Words....

8. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Nov 12, 2006

Great ideas!
    When I intro a new word, I make the word on the white board with mag. letters. I then mix them up and one student comes up to unmix the letters to make the word. After the student finishes, he then mixes up the letters again and picks a classmate to repeat. The kids loves this! They jump out of their spot on the rug when we take turns!
    We also do "say it/write it/stamp it in centers. I have a print out of 5 to 8 sight words and they need to say the word, write the word, then stamp the word on the paper. This gets kind of mess with the ink pads.
    Oh no! is another favorite in my class. In a decorated shoe box I have index cards with the sight words print on one side. On about 4 or 5 cards I have the words "oh no!". In small group, the students take turns picking a card out (cards are face down). If they know the word, they keep the card. If they don't know it, a friend tells them the word (or the teacher), and they put it back in. If they get a "oh no!" card, they need to put all their cards back into the box.

We also create cheers for the words. Pick an action (like walking like a mummy) and spell out the word. The original cheer goes like this: Teacher: give me a T!
    Students: T! you've got your T, you've got your T.
    Teacher: give me a O!
    Students: O! you've got your O, you've got your O.
    Teacher: What does that spell!
    All: TO! If I forget to do this in morning meeting, the kids always remind me! I learned this at a conference so I can't take direct credit for it.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2006

I teach first grade but you could adapt....

I do cloze sentences with the kids and they have to figure out which word ( I introdcue a few at a time and show them before doing the sentences) fills in the blank.

10. CBean

CBean Rookie

Nov 29, 2006

There are many good ideas for introducing sight words above - I think it works best when you introduce them in context. I also use Open Court and we introduce them by showing the word on a card( or sentence strip), going over the word's name, spelling, name again. Then as we browse the decodable books, I encourage the students to look for the sight words I just introduced. They also point them out as we read the story.

Also, there are some good sight word review activities and games on www.RainbowWords.com under teaching activities. All of our K and some 1st grade classes use rainbow words to motivate our students. (I think it motivates the parents too!). Sometimes they'll yell out - "OH! I found a blue word!"