Introducing Patters

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Jun 2, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

Hi-I was trying to figure out the best way to introduce patterns to preschoolers. Would it be better to have only once difference (example, red square, blue square) or is it better to have them very different(example, red square, blue circle) tHanks!

3. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

I do only one variable at a time (either color or shape, but not both) It could be that your kiddos havent mastered their shapes or colors, and throwing both in could make it hard for them to focus on the skill at hand-- patterning.

I think unifix cubes (I've heard them called snap-cubes too) are the absolute best for teaching patterning. Start as simple as possible and make it rhythmic/musical. Patterning is so fun! Enjoy!

4. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 2, 2010

I do the same thing as Happy - one variable at a time to start, then start mixing it up. I use unifix cubes or other manipulatives. I also have pattern strips (purchased from Lakeshore) and they show a pattern on the card and the kids have to finish the pattern. Now my class loves to search for patterns in their environment! Every once in awhile one of them will run up to me and "Mrs Jennifer! I just found an ABC pattern!" or something :)

5. Preschool_Rocks

Preschool_Rocks Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

I first start teaching patterns using one variable at a time. Once the children master that type of pattern then we move on to harder patterns. I first start with an AB patterns then ABC then ABB and so on. We also do a lot of physical patterning. We get in line boy girl, or boy girl girl. Or sit down boy girl, or boy girl girl. I also use the unifix cubes, colored counters with the colored counter mats and then the children have to extend the pattern. Or we create patterns when working with blocks, and stringing beads.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 12, 2010

I would keep it simple, with only two different attributes, like circle,square (same color) or red blue (same shape). Once they have that mastered you can add another attribute