Introducing letter sounds

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by PinkLily, Aug 20, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 20, 2010

I posted this question in the first grade forum, but I haven't had much response...

In what order should you introduce letter sounds?

3. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 20, 2010

When I was teaching preschool, I taught the letters in alphabetical order. In Kindergarten I did the letters and sounds out of order, and when we began using Handwriting Without Tears I tried to stay in the order they used if possible.

4. UNCKinder

UNCKinder Rookie

Aug 20, 2010

I teach the letters out of order. I can't remember the exact order off the top of my head, but I start out with letter that can easily be combined to make CVC words for word building. T is used a lot, Q- not so much. T would be taught way before Q. I also don't teach them in complete isolation. We talk about letters and sounds in names, words in the morning message, shared reading lessons, etc. so they are being exposed to multiple letters and sounds all day long. We are beginning Letterland this year so I will follow the order for that. I am K though, BTW.

5. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

We teach them out of order starting with O. This is an easy letter but we can make sure the children are forming it correctly (going the right way, starting at the top, etc). Then we move on to c, and a, and keep going all the way. The letters get harder to form but we do ones with similiar strokes first.
    Side note, we do teach the sounds the letters make as we teach formation of the letter.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

We use a 'research based' literacy program that I don't love, BUT I do love the phonics component. There is an order we do it, I can't recall off the top of my head, but there is research behind what letters are easier to learn first, which sounds are easier and more difficult and you start in that order. I know T, M, and A are the first three, in that order, but that's all I remember - sorry!

7. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

We follow the 'Jolly Phonics' order... The order is available online if you search for Jolly Phonics.