Introducing fairytale unit- HELP 1st timer!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeacherJ4life, Apr 24, 2008.

1. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 24, 2008

Hey everyone,
    I am student teaching and was wondering if any of you seasoned teachers knew a great way to introduce a fairytale unit to first graders. I have some ideas, but I would like to hear what worked for you guys:up:
    :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2008

How about putting out a browse basket of fairy tales for the kids to browse for a day or two- then you could graph kids' favorite fairy tales and launch into your study- maybe graph after the unit and see if the results change!!

4. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 24, 2008

I would love to do it that way but I think the teacher wants me to do a reading workshop where the children search for key elements in fairytales. However, I want to present it and model it in way that is exciting for them.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2008

Yes- I would do this as well- I thought you wanted how to START/INTRODUCE the unit...I would definitely teach about fairy tale story elements, character study, themes of magic, good and bad- so many possibilities for mini-lessons..

6. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 25, 2008

Yeah she wants me to do a reading lesson introducing fairytales that way( by their elements).:whistle:

7. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Apr 29, 2008

I just started fairytales and I started with asking them what they already know about fairytales. We list/discuss the different fairytales. After doing that, I tell them that many people like to take a fairytale and make it their own. So I like starting with The Three Little Pigs. I hold up the book and they take turns telling the story by looking at the pictures. Then I show them The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. There are other versions as well and we compare and contrast the stories. They love it!