Intro to storytelling

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chalk, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jul 28, 2010

Hello all.

I wanted to introduce an idea that is being tossed around at our education college improvement meetings.

It is being considered to add Intro. to storytelling as a program requirement for graduation from the teaching program for Both BA and Mastery.

I have found that using storytelling techniques in my own classes has improved students interest and retention of ideas from the story. I have also witnesses teachers who, frankly, could make the most exciting story become just another dull lesson. However probably the greatest effect I have noticed is how some of the lessons about how a storytellers stage presence is different from an actors stage presence and how to apply them in a classroom have truly worked wonders in keeping the focus of the students on the lessons.

Of course there are negatives if used inappropriately. Making classrooms to dramatic can decrease effectiveness and the balance is something that takes practice to attain.

What do you think? Storytelling course, good or bad?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

I'm not sure about having a course in storytelling but I know it works for me! Sometimes I just channel the childhood influence of Bill Cosby and go for it. You can see the difference in the students' attention.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

Having never taken such a course, I can't say for sure, but I can see it as being an excellent idea as an elective, I'm not so sure about it as a required course. I think there are plenty of things that should be required that aren't right now (at least there were at my University) so I would have trouble justifying storytelling, when we only have one course on Literacy and one course on Math that are required in our program.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

It was already a major part of the early childhood Language and Literacy class I took last year. Good but she didn't talk about phonics or phoenemic awareness instruction which would have been more useful.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 28, 2010

Sounds like fun!--but I'm dramatic any ways :) I like Mary's idea...channel in Bill. LOL...too funny! I can totally tell the difference in the kids' interest if you just blah blah blah read the story compared to getting them fired up and using some kind of dramatic voice. I really think the dramatic reading teaches inflection and innotation (at the moment my brain's saying those two words are different, but they could be the same...I might need more coffee to figure that one out later. LOL). But like I said, I'm dramatic and comfortable with having fun with reading :)

7. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jul 28, 2010

What I found so amazing is the little things that differ.

Changing ones voice is a good example. However I discovered a world of difference between a storyteller and a stage performer.

Little nuances like how keeping ones arms in close or more open will affect the mood of the audience while you speak or how to use a type of leg stance to increase focus on a single hand movement. Its like a course in extreme body language, vocal inflection and showmanship.