Intro letter from ST...help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacherella, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 8, 2007

I'll be student teaching this fall and need help writing an intro letter to the parents. My CT will send the letter with hers, but I'm not sure what to say.

Any ideas? Thanks!

3. aautismj

aautismj Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Keep it nice and simple! Tell the parents a little about yourself (where you go to school, any experience that you have in classrooms, etc). Also, tell them of what your role in the classroom will be. Will you be teaching every subject every day or just some subjects? Make the parents feel comfortable that you will be in the classroom and confident that you know what you are doing. I still have a copy of mine - if you would like to take a look at it PM me. Good Luck!!!

4. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Funny story about that.... When I was student teaching, I sent a letter home with the kids introducing myself, giving a little of my background, what I would be teaching during my time there, etc. The following day, one of the students comes in, hands me the letter I had written, and says, "My mom made a few corrections." (!) Let me just pause to say that I am a grammar and spelling freak when it comes to stuff like that and had proofread my letter about 17 times before sending it out. So I look at the letter, and sure enough, his mother had crossed out and written over several places throughout the letter- and sent it back to school! And to top it all off, it was the MOST nitpicky things that weren't even wrong- just rewording of what I had said. Anyways, it was crazy and I saved the letter to get a good laugh every now and then. You never can completely please the parents!

5. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Here is the one I sent to my parents:

March 8th, 2007

Dear parents/guardians,

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Brian Skinner and I will be working with your child as a student teacher under the experienced direction of Mrs. soandso. The next couple months at Eastbrook Elementary, beginning March 8 and concluding April 25, 2007, will be my third student teaching experience.

University of Lethbridge student teaching obligations require me to document my teaching abilities as well as daily classroom learning activities through the use of writing and photography. The image of your child may be captured in this process. I am requesting your permission to include your child’s image and perhaps samples of his/her work. The writing and photographs will be used ONLY for the purpose of completing a student teaching portfolio to be reviewed by Lethbridge University faculty. No names of any children will be used.

To comply with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, I need your signed permission to include your child in my portfolio. If you consent, please sign the form below and have your child return it to me ASAP. Also, if you have any questions or concerns related to your child throughout the following 7 weeks, please feel free to contact me through Mrs. soandso, or email me directly at: email address

Thanks for your time and the pleasure of working with your child this spring.

Yours truly,

Brian J. Skinner
    Please detach and return this portion with your child, to consent to your child being photographed. Thank you.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I consent for a photograph of my child, _______________, to be included in the teaching portfolio of Mr. Brian Skinner and to be disclosed to University of Lethbridge Faculty of Education. This permission is valid for one year from the date of consent.

Parent / Guardian Signature Date

6. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

Thanks for the samples...they will definitely be helpful! Just one quick question...do you think it's necessary to ask the parent's permission to take pics of their children if the district already requires parents to sign a permission slip (saying yes or no) at the beginning of the year? I guess it's better that I have the permission of the parents so I can use the pictures for my porfolio or even on my professional website. What do you think?

Thanks!

7. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

especially for a website, you need consent for uploading

8. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

LMAO! Leans, I bet his mom is a teacher! I would never do that to another teacher, or student teacher (although I've done it for friends who've asked for my help) unless he or she had me riled for some reason. When my oldest was in Kindergarten, he had some behavioral problems. He is ADHD, but the note that the teacher wrote was picky (he didn't BITE anyone today, or hit, or anything else, but I don't like wating my time telling him to sit down -:eek: he's FIVE for goodness' sake!) and she murdered the English language. I did correct her note, but I was really mad and I wasn't even going to school for teaching yet, I was a psych major at the time.

9. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

Wow Leans...what a story! What did your CT say about that?

I just talked to my CT and she said there's no need to send home a permission slip since the district already does that.

10. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

The funny thing was that we asked the student what his mom did, and he said "Well, you see, my mom works with chickens and goats." I student taught in a very rural area and so I guess she worked on a farm of some sort. My CT thought it was crazy, too, but she laughed and just told me to forget it- she was very supportive!

11. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

This is what I used:

Hello!

My name is *** and I am a new student in your child’s class. I am really a student at ### College, majoring in Elementary Education with a certification in Special Education. As part of my training, I am placed into a classroom to observe and learn from a teacher who exemplifies all the qualities of a professional, successful teacher. This semester, I am honored to be a part of Mrs. ### class.

I’d like to begin by telling you a little bit about myself. I have been with my husband ## for 14 years. We have two children, ## is 8 and ### is 6. I am an active volunteer in my children’s school, room mom for both classes, and volunteer coordinator for the PTO at their school. I am also a certified substitute with $$$ County.

As a student in Mrs. $$$’s class, I will be an observer and an active participant. I will assist Mrs. $$$ with any classroom duties she sees fit to assign to me. I am required to teach five lessons throughout my time in the class, one of which will be video recorded.

I am deeply humbled by the privilege of being a part of your child’s learning experience. It is not a responsibility that I take lightly. My promise to you is that I will always put your child’s education above all else.

I look forward to working with your child and Mrs. $$$. I am so grateful to be a part of such a great group of students and learn from such a great teacher. I know we will all learn so much together!

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. $$$.