Intro Letter Comments Please

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jul 1, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 1, 2006

I would like to include an introduction letter in my packet to families at the beginning of the year. This will be either meet the teacher night or first day of school packet. I am new to the state and the school, so I thought it would be appropriate to let them know a little about me. I'd appreciate your input -- this is a revised version of a letter I wrote when I began a new classroom mid-year in January 2005.

Parents and Families,

My name is (first name last name) and I would like to take a moment to introduce myself as your child’s new 3rd grade teacher at Pine Forest. I am joining the staff after teaching in Tempe, Arizona where I graduated with honors from Arizona State University’s Early Childhood Education program.

I could not be happier or more excited about the opportunity to work with your child and the staff of Pine Forest Elementary. As I am sure you are aware, the team at Pine Forest is fantastic and I am certain they will be a remarkable resource and support system as we form our new 3rd grade family.

Please accept this letter as your open invitation to visit our classroom anytime. My door is always open and I look forward to getting to know your child and your family.

If you need to reach me, I am available at the numbers below any time.

Sincerely,

3. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 1, 2006

Your letter sounds good. I might leave out the "anytime" in the "visit our class anytime" statement...I've seen some pretty overwhelming parents "visiting" a teacher's classroom WAY to frequently and those that visit mid-day can make classroom management a bit awkward :p

I'm working on my intro letter, too. I still feel a bit nervouse about phone numbers. I only have a cell phone (my other phone line is always tied up to the internet), but I'm not sure if I want to risk the possible phone calling "abuse" that I've heard about.
    Are you leaving all of your numbers or just the school ones?

4. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 1, 2006

Interesting points. I worked previously at a school where anytime was me begging for anyone to come in EVER! However, the demographics of the new school are much different and I might want to rephrase b/c I could end up with parents who never leave.

As far as phone numbers, I have a cell phone only. Everyone told me I was crazy because I gave that out to my families. However, I only received 2 calls on it in 2 years. The parents called the school if they needed me. I don't know, that might be different in this school too......hmmmm

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 1, 2006

ONLY the school's:eek: :eek:

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 1, 2006

I agree with MissV.

Our school has an open door policy but we still request parents to inform us before they want to visit our classroom, so that we could prepare something for them to do. Some of my friends have had problems with parents dropping by thinking that they could get a mini-conference during class time.

I just provided the school's phone number and I said something like " Our day is very busy and I may not be able to take your call during class time. I will do my best to return your call as soon as possible."
    You may choose to give your home number to parents who will not abuse it. I have not yet given out my home number.

The teachers at my school do give out our school e-mail address. I have only had 1 parent use it though.

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 1, 2006

My district has a great email system for parents with internet.

8. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 1, 2006

I NEVER give out my home or cell phone number. If parents want to reach me, they can call me at the school. I also make sure to tell them the times I'm available so that they will know when I will be able to get back to them.

As far as the open door policy, I would be careful about inviting parents in unless at certain times. Parents know that they can come during lunch if they choose or before or after school. Otherwise, I've had too many interruptions and actual issues to deal with. One year I had a parent who would just "POP" in to give her son a little hug and a kiss... My door started being locked and the principal knew that if she needed to come in, she would need to unlock it and let herself in.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

I could not be happier or more excited (I wouldn't use the negative - instead, say something like I am thrilled) about the opportunity to work with your child and the staff of Pine Forest Elementary. As I am sure you are aware, the team at Pine Forest is fantastic(,) and I would add, 'and the parents are known for their support.' I am certain they will be a remarkable resource and support system. I would take that sentence out because I wouldn't advertise how much you need the admin. [/COLOR] Instead, I would say something like, 'I look forward to working with you to form a secure 3rd grade 'family', one which will nurture your child through the stages of growth this year will bring.')

Please accept this letter as your open invitation to visit our classroom anytime. My door is always open and I look forward to getting to know your child and your family. Way too wide open. Instead, say something like, 'There are numerous ways in which you may participate in the classroom this year and I look forward to your involvement.'

If you need to reach me, I am available at the numbers below any time. You could say, please don't hesitate to contact me at school. I will get back to you within 24 hours of your call. Or, send a note to me in your child's assignment planner.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006