Into the Wild-the movie

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 1, 2008

Did anyone else see this? We rented it last night, and I can't get it out of my head. I fell asleep before the end, and ask my dh to tell me what happened. It was so shocking that I thought he was joking, but I still had a restless night of sleep because of it. Then we woke up, and I made him put it back in so I could see the end. I can't stop thinking about it. I don't want to spoil it for people, but I just feel I need something to help me through this. We have the book and soundtrack-my dh got them during the promotion of the movie-and I feel I'm going to need to do read the book and do some research now. Was anyone else affected this much by it??

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2008

What is this movie about? I remember hearing the title, but can't place what happens.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 1, 2008

It's about a guy who gives up everything and hikes around the US, ending up Alaska. He then lives in a bus while living off the land. I found it amazing. The movie is set up to go from present to flashback, and the acting/scenery/soundtrack blends amazingly well. I was impressed. I'm going to have to watch it again soon.

I'm now reading everything I can on the main character, as it was a true story. It's so interesting.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

Who is in the movie?

6. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I watched it a couple of months ago with some friends, but I had already read the book, so I knew what happened. They didn't, and were also shocked at the end. I think the most tragic part was that he had just come around to the idea that sharing life with others is essential to happiness.

7. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Emile Hirsch played Chris McCandless, the main character, and Kristen Stewart, who is going to be Bella in Twilight, is also in it.

8. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I definitely had the same reaction you did. I couldn't stop thinking about it either. I wanted to find more info about the main character's real life. I didn't read the book.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2008

I read the book a few summers ago. The author has written several on 'extreme' kinds of outdoor dramatic real-life stories.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 1, 2008

They have had trouble with people making pilgrimages up to where his bus is and trying to emulate his lifestyle.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

We read the book and watched the movie for my Book Club. I think it's a sad story, but I really admired his sense of adventure. Of course, the teacher in me thought about Multiple Intelligences and how they added the naturalist one a few years back. Chris McCandless would definitely have fit into that category-the family said when he was four he used to wander into his neighbor's houses at night and that need for adventure never stopped.

Jem - I'm sorry you were so affected by it, I guess because I had already heard the true story, I knew what the outcome was going to be. The book is very similar to the movie although they talk about a number of other adventurers as well. I thought Sean Penn's adaptation was really faithful to the text.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 1, 2008

I read the book b/c my friend actually worked on the movie. It took a long time to film all of it bc they actually filmed in the same spots where he was. She had a great time doing it and has great stories.