Intimidated by middle schoolers

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by burgandy01, Aug 13, 2015.

1. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

I've been frantically hoping to land a PE position for elementary and thus far have not been successful. Today I received a call for an interview at a Middle school.

I have subbed at middle schools in the past and I always told myself that they weren't for me because I found the majority of students as belligerent attention-seekers. I once got a long term sub position in one and had a bad experience where one student put my name in mean graffiti in the girl's bathroom and I experienced a lot of theft and damage.

I hate to let my past experiences jade my outlook but I want so bad to be a PE coach and know that I'm a good teacher.

I would love some advice about how to reach these kids and how you deal with working in a middle school.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2015

Middle school is not for everyone, but not all middle schools are the same. I had bad experiences teaching middle school at a very disorganized, impoverished inner-city school, and then I taught one MS class last year in my new district and loved it! It's all about having a strong admin and good support no matter what age or level of the kids.

I would definitely at least go for the interview -- but be sure to ask about school-wide discipline, culture, admin support, etc, and be prepared to walk away if they get defensive or evasive on these issues.

Whatever happens, don't let middle schoolers intimidate you! They are just big little kids :)

4. msleep

msleep Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

If you aren't comfortable then each day will be a challenge to get out of bed.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2015

There's not really coaching in elementary schools. School team sports tend to start in upper middle school.

Middle school kids can be tough, but if you find a place in your heart for them, hold your own, mean business while showing you care...then you can succeed. You need to decide whether you can pull it together confidence-wise and take a leap of faith opening yourself up to midde school, or hold out for elementary and possibly continue subbing. Only you can know what feels right for you.