Interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sateacher08, May 21, 2009.

  1. sateacher08

    sateacher08 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Messages:
    49
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 21, 2009

    I have had 2 interviews this past wk and have 1 more next wk.
    I verbally accepted one but now this great district just called me so I want to try this one out and see if they offer me a job. I can still not accept the one I verbally accepted right as long as I have not signed anything yet? Please help me out. All interviews have been spec ed positions. I am experienced in spec ed so I guess its helping me out....
     
  2.  
  3. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    May 21, 2009

    Until you sign that contract, keep interviewing.
     
  4. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    May 21, 2009

    Legally your word isn't binding until you've signed.

    I would still honor my committment, but legally you're safe.
     
  5. frogger

    frogger Devotee

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    2

    May 21, 2009

    agree!
     
  6. Brendan

    Brendan Fanatic

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2004
    Messages:
    2,974
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 21, 2009

    Ehh, there have been some cases when a verbal agreement was held as binding...
     
  7. AMB

    AMB Rookie

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Messages:
    65
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 21, 2009

    Yep.

    I also heard a story from an assistant superintendent about someone who verbally committed to district A, but then interviewed and decided to accept at district B. District A talked to District B and the person ended up not getting a job at all in EITHER district!

    Now perhaps that was to scare us, but her point was that schools do talk and once you accept, they expect you to stick with it.
     
  8. sateacher08

    sateacher08 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Messages:
    49
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 22, 2009

    Thanks for all your replies.... I am so worried, I do not want to drive 60+ miles a day. I might just call back before all paper work gets prepared.....
     
  9. RainStorm

    RainStorm Phenom

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    424

    May 22, 2009

    sateacher,
    Go to the other interview. You may not even have a decision to make. You may not get selected by them, or you may decide based on the interview that it isn't a good fit for you.

    If you do get offered the other job, and want to take it, just be honest. Call the first place and say "I made a committment to you, but I also interviewed at another school and they just made me an offer. I really feel that position would be a better fit because ... (something like it is closer to home, less driving, etc.)." At this early time, they should understand. Think how happy the 2nd choice will be to get the call that she (or he) got a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Also remember that if you haven't signed an actual contract yet, they could still recind their offer. As many on this forum can attest to, it isn't final until you sign on the dotted line.
     
  10. cheeryteacher

    cheeryteacher Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2006
    Messages:
    2,237
    Likes Received:
    9

    May 22, 2009

    There have also been cases where a school had to back out after giving someone a verbal offer. Keep interviewing until you sign a contract. If you have to back out the driving distance is a really good reason.
     
  11. sateacher08

    sateacher08 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Messages:
    49
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 22, 2009

    I just talked to the principal this morning by cell and explained the factors and she was very accepting and understood because we had spoke about them before. I am waiting on a response from the one I interviewed at yesterday - today will be the day that one will make a decision and Tuesday I have the interview of my dreams, they wanted me to interview today but I have to return to my students and I dont wanna leave them hanging and wondering where is my teacher!?
     
  12. Rebel1

    Rebel1 Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Messages:
    1,522
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 22, 2009

    A VERBAL AGREEMENT IS BINDING so watch out! Do your homework about it because YOU are the one that is going to be affected by it all, WHEN THE DUST SETTLES!
    Rebel1
     
  13. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    May 22, 2009

     
  14. sateacher08

    sateacher08 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Messages:
    49
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 22, 2009

    Yes i have turned down the job as of 7am this morning.... The principal was very accepting because I just accepted it yesterday so she said there was no problem and she was glad i decided to change my mind so quickly.... I am now going to wait on 2 pending decisions by schools.....
     
  15. MrsHoot

    MrsHoot Comrade

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Messages:
    436
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 22, 2009

    I'm glad it worked out nicely for you. Now hopefully you will get one of the other jobs! =)
     
  16. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    May 22, 2009

    Good luck on your interview Tuesday!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Eric Matyas,
  2. RainStorm,
  3. MrsC
Total: 612 (members: 4, guests: 587, robots: 21)
test