Interviews this week-nervous!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kellie McGrath, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jun 20, 2016

Hello!

This is my first time posting here but I have been a lurker for a little bit. A bit of background info-I have a BA in Secondary Social Studies Education but decided that teaching high school students was not for me. I worked for 8 years in a corporate job and sporadically took classes to complete a preliminary license in both early childhood and elementary. I have been a pre-kindergarten instructional aide at a private school for the past two years, but because of enrollment my position has been eliminated for next year. So now I am job hunting again. I am looking for a position in the elementary level at either a public or private school. I feel way more comfortable in the lower/primary grades but will consider anything through 5th.

This week I have received 3 interview requests-on wednesday for a 5th grade position at a public school, next week for a 2nd grade position at a catholic school and next week for a general enducation aide at a public 2nd/3rd grade elementary school. I have gone on a few interviews but always feel so nervous and that I do not show that I am a great teacher. Since I didn't student teach in elementary and have been in early childhood education the past two years, I am also nervous about not being able to have concrete examples for questions they might ask. I can definitely use some from the time I have spent in pre-k. I guess I just need any tips and encouragement you might have!!

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jun 22, 2016

It was helpful thank you! My interview today was ok-I think I stumbled a little on some of their questions because it was for 5th grade which I have zero experience in. And they acknowledged that they knew I would be moving from early childhood and might be a difficult transition but I tried to show I would be open to learning and used examples of things that I believed would crossover.

Tomorrow I have a 2nd grade interview which is the one I am REALLY excited about! Its in another catholic school and I think it would be great for me. Fingers crossed!

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 22, 2016

Kellie,
    Before you go to your interview at the Catholic School, just be forewarned, they often ask about your faith journey. If you are Catholic, they expect you to be a practicing Catholic in good standing. If you aren't (I'm not and I teach at a Catholic school) they will still want to know about your commitment to your faith. I just wanted to mention that so you won't be taken off-guard if they ask.

Best wishes on your interview!

-Rain

7. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 22, 2016

Yeah, I just applied 5 min ago to a catholic school and they had me answer two questions about my faith and why I want to work there. I am not Catholic , but I am a Christian.
    Rainstorm, do they require you to pray to Mary or do hail Marys? I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 23, 2016

At my school you lead your class in prayer 4 times per day, and we say the Hail Mary a lot. I have no idea if other Catholic Schools do that or not -- my guess is that they probably do. We also attend Mass with the children once a week. It is something you will really need to think about.

9. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

That's true. I had an interview with a private baptist school that went horrible for me! I was asked what it meant to be a Christian, what biblical character I relate to, was I born-again, and describe my personal relationship with God. It definitely caught me off guard. I attend church occasionally and taught bible school for a while, but still couldn't answer the questions very well and reference the bible.

10. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jun 23, 2016

Thank you! I actually am currently an instructional assistant at a different private Catholic school, so the religion questions don't worry me at all! I had the second grade interview today and I think it went really well. We talked about a lot of subjects and I asked questions and we covered a lot of different things. I left feeling very good about it!

She said that they are going to do another round of interviews with the first grade teacher and a parent (common at catholic schools in this area) and it might be a few weeks until I hear because of vacations etc. Does this mean she didn't like me or is it a good sign that she mentioned the second round at all?

She is a new principle and it seems like the school is going through a lot of changes and she has a few positions open so I know this is not the only thing in her mind. It feels like a really great fit for me though! When do you suggest I send a follow up? Should I handwrite a thank you note? I really want this job :)

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 23, 2016

Send the thank you note right away. Things like that can make a big impression.

Best wishes,

-Rain

12. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 1, 2016

I am STILL waiting to hear anything from the interview I had for the 2nd grade position. I keep telling myself she told me she had another interview this week, and then next week the school is closed but I am still starting to feel discouraged. I thought it went well and I really liked the school. I hate waiting

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2016

I have been following your story. I wish you well! Have you heard back from them?

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2016

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  15. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 2, 2016

I totally agree I would rather get a no thank you. The only people I have heard back from are the 5th grade public school position. I didnt get it which i am not surprised about because I do not have any upper elementary experience. But they took the time to call me and gave me some really great feedback about my interview. It just wasn't the right position for me. I have 3 more interviews coming up. One for an ABA tutoring position, one for a 3rd grade at a different catholic school and one for a 5th grade long term sub. So I am hoping that one of these pans out!

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2016

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  17. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 2, 2016

I just got another interview request! It's a teaching assistant at a public preschool. It's a little further than I wanted, however it's one of the best school districts in Massachusetts. So on I wil go!

18. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 5, 2016

Another job interview tomorrow. Not exactly what I want but its in a really good school district so I would take the assistant position.

Weird story-I work for a professional theater company as a second job (as well as teach theater classes after school). I was talking to one of the kids moms in the show who is a teacher and she is good friends with the principal of the school with the job that I interviewed for that i really want. It came up out of no where! She said that she is going to put in a good word for me with the principal. I just thought it was such a small world!

19. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 23, 2016

Since I last posted on this thread I have been on so many interviews that I have lost count! I had one yesterday that I think went really well, and a second interview the day before. I have another on Monday. Really hoping something pans out soon. If not I have my paperwork in to sub at 6 districts around me. I feel like I am a professional interviewer this summer

mckbearcat48 and Leaborb192 like this.
  20. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 23, 2016

Go Kellie! Hoping you get a room to call your own, because subbing....well, good luck getting a classroom. :)

21. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 23, 2016

Thanks! The one from yesterday went really well. It was more of a conversation that an interview. She likes that I have a background in music and theater because its a small catholic school with no music program. The only think that might suck is I went in for third grade but she also is hiring someone for pre-k and I have more experience in pre-k. I did tell her I would be happy with either position but would prefer 3rd. I am trying to move into elementary but I guess just get a job in a school i like right? Can always move. But she said she will definitely be calling me within the next 10 days. So hopefully that means she will offer me one of the positions.