Interviews out of courtesy

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2013

Do you think some of your interviews were held because they were out of courtesy? I read online that it happens in the business world so it wouldn't be a stretch for them to take place in the education world as well.......

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

Oh, definitely. Schools will often give parents, subs, paras etc. courtesy interviews. People who they have to face on a regular basis, who might be offended if they didn't get one.

I had one at my daughter's school last year. I knew this p. didn't like to hire parents, but I applied anyway. I had a very nice chat during the interview which, anywhere else, would have likely led to a second interview. But that was the end of it. A parent has never been hired for anything except sub or para at this school. Lots of us have applied, including the people who did long-term subbing. But nobody ever got a teaching job. :mad:

Other than these types of situations, I think if you get called for an interview, it's because they do want to see what you're about.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2013

When we interviewed for our AP, any applicants we had ties with were automatically given a slot. Same with teacher openings and subs/TAs applying for them.

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 23, 2013

Same deal at my kids' elementary school. The P doesn't ever hire even long term subs. It's very irritating to know she sat and told me she'd love to consider me for any open positions while I KNEW she she did in fact have several open spots. She ended up passing over everyone in the building to hire from outside the county. :mad:

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

I guess the flip side is that a courtesy interview, if successful, can then be considered "having connections" that actually worked!:lol:

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

Definitely.

I had an interview once where I discovered that the only candidates were me and the former teacher who had left, but decided she wanted her old job back at the last moment. My interview had seemed oddly perfunctory, and then when I stepped out of the office, there sat the former teacher in the lobby (I recognized her).

Another time, the other applicant was their intern, who had been student teaching there. I get how that person has the edge, but please don't waste my time if hiring him is a foregone conclusion. I was taking time off from work to meet with them.

I have discovered that two of the three positions I interviewed for this season went to beginners. I feel like my purpose was to be "the rest of the applicant pool." I might be too expensive or too old to hire. There are rarely more than two or three applicants for the positions I apply to.

8. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 23, 2013

I will say that I interviewed for a position that the P told me he never interviewed anyone that was connected to him in any way. He had a teacher at his church that was looking and he would not interview her at his school. He also is good about hiring subs and TA's since he knows their work record.

9. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 23, 2013

THIS!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2013

I haven't been interviewed as a courtesy (I'm able to know that because I've been offered a job after each interview), but I have been on the panel interviewing someone as a courtesy. I didn't like it one bit. Unless they need interview practice/experience, it's such a waste. :(

11. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 23, 2013

Sometimes it isn't even out of courtesy. I had two interviews where the P had to fill an interview quota at the particular school system that I am currently in. Even my friend who had a teaching position was hired by her P and the P told her, I still have 3 interviews to do just because, but you have the job.

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2013

I'm glad to know others feel that way because it seems the 3 that I've been on have ALL been courtesy and here is why I think that's the case...

1.) First one, I student-taught there.

2.) Second one, I am currently their summer school teacher.

3.) Third one, the person who left gave the P my name.

I haven't been called for any other interviews.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2013

My dad's district called me for an interview this year. One of the other elementary schools had an opening and he is friends with the AP there. He sent her an e-mail telling her I was looking for a job. This district regularly gets 5,000-6,000 applicants for each position and generally requires 5-6 interviews before being hired. I'm sure there is no way they'd consider an out of state candidate who could only do phone or Skype. I think they were just doing a favor for my dad so he wouldn't be offended. Luckily I already had a job by the time they called.

14. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 23, 2013

At least you are getting some practice in though. I haven't been on TOOOOO many interviews myself, and I am not the best interviewer, but I have greatly improved since the very first interview I have had.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2013

My home district where I was subbing interviewed me (experienced in grades 4-6) for a position in grade 1. The only other person interviewed was the daughter of a secretary in another building. Yes, perfunctory at best. I went into the office to pick up my portfolio several days after the interview and the girl they had hired told me she got the job. We didn't know each other. She was just that unprofessional. Then as I was walking home with my son, the P double parked beside me, rolled down her window and yelled out the window at me that I had interviewed well, but they had gone with someone else. Even less professional:eek:
    Anyway, my current district does interview people as favors - and they frequently get hired. It can help to know people.

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

OMG! :spitwater: It sounds like you dodged a bullet!

17. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

Honestly, those don't sound like courtesy interviews. They sound like the real thing. I think if you can just get a few more chances, you'll land something!!!