Interviews/Not Hearing Back

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FunSun11, Jun 16, 2016.

1. FunSun11

FunSun11 Rookie

Jun 16, 2016

I have gone on 3 interviews so far and I have not heard back. I have gone through 3 screening interviews from school districts. I have 10 years of teaching experience with a Master's degree. Most of my experience was in grades Kindergarten through 2nd grade.

Has anyone gone interviews and not heard back? Maybe my responses are not strong enough. Maybe I am not elaborating. I have received great letters of recommendation and glowing reviews but not sure what I am doing wrong or what I need to work on. The worst part you don't hear back. I am becoming very discouraged and depressed. I need a job!

The one school district did contact me and stated they wanted me to be part of their sub list. I guess I didn't make it that far. I am starting to wonder if I should just leave teaching. I feel very defeated.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 16, 2016

I went on an interview three weeks ago and I haven't heard back. I was qualified for the job and I thought it went really well. I've always heard back, either way. This is the first time I've interviewed and not heard back.

I have also found the process discouraging. I do, currently have a job and am trying to get one closer to home. I keep being told that divisions only hire internally and can't interview me unless there aren't any internal candidates. Can't do much about that!

4. FunSun11

FunSun11 Rookie

Jun 16, 2016

That is what I hear as well. I actually don't have anything in the fall. I left my last teaching job and I knew deep down that I could not return as it was a horrible fit for me. I just feel like I am struggling with articulating what I know and it seems to hurt me.

5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 16, 2016

I am feeling the same thing now. It's so frustrating knowing that I gave my best effort and hear nothing. I also worry that the writing may be on the wall for me to be a sub again (most know how I feel about that).

6. gkis

gkis Rookie

Jun 16, 2016

Had a fantastic interview 3 weeks back-simply amazing. Well, it appears only on my side-have not heard back, so I understand your frustrations. However, we do need to realize that there are other candidates who might have out shined us...I keep getting calls though, which is good. Good luck!

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 16, 2016

This is going to come off badly but the long time I've been in super-competitive situations is about to come out. If we got out-shined, it's because we failed or weren't good enough. I was told by an admin while I was subbing last year that they were very happy with my interview and that I was one of the final candidates out of 700 candidates. I thanked him, but to this day I think of how badly I failed that process to finish between 2nd and 5th (5 finalists). The guy or girl who finishes 2nd in the interview is no better off than the guy who finishes last.

I am very competitive and very, very hard on myself because I believe that we really do control our fate. I am teaching summer school at the school where I student taught and was hoping to teach for real...until I wasn't good enough as a student teacher and they went outside for a teacher with experience. I failed at the school I wanted to work at, and ended up taking on substitute jobs.

Good luck to all of you. I hope that y'all find a job you want and love.

8. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 16, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  9. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 16, 2016

You got it. You teach for whoever is interviewing you.

10. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 16, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  11. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 16, 2016

It took me 13 interviews to land my first full-time teaching job, which was a one-year only position, then another 11 interviews to land my current job, which I have had for four years. At the time, I wanted every job I interviewed for, and it was a devastating and demoralizing process. Looking back though, of those 22 jobs I wasn't picked for, most of them are much less appealing to me than where I ended up. So I guess I would recommend you try to be a little less focused on failure versus success and encourage you to approach a job interview as an opportunity to figure out if you and your skills are a good match for this particular school with its particular needs.

anon55 and pommom like this.
  12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2016

I've only been on two interviews where they didn't contact me in any way to tell me that I didn't get the position. IMO, that's not the type of people I want to work for anyway, so consider it a bullet dodged. I think it's extremely rude to not take 30 seconds to send an email that says "Thanks for interviewing, but we chose another candidate." If they can't even be bothered to do that, then they should at least say something like, "If you haven't heard anything by Tuesday at 5 pm then we went with someone else."

anon55 and Srhhwtt like this.
  13. gkis

gkis Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

I really try not to think of it as much as failure, although do agree it is to some extent. I realize I am alternative route, I have not subbed a day in my life, I teach Math at the local community college part time, but have never thought in a public/private school, I live in a different state (NY) and am applying in NJ. So I think no matter how well I do on an interview , there are factors I cannot overcome. I do my best, I keep on learning and researching and again learning...and applying. It will happen.

14. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

I feel the same. I try to remember that I'm also looking for a good fit for me. I spend a good amount of time completing the application, having my references complete surveys (for each stupid application!), preparing for the interview, the actual interview, sending thank you letters, and on top of it waiting impatiently for some notification (so constantly checking my email, waiting for my phone to go off, or checking the mail). If they can't send even a generic email to me, then it's not the school for me anyways. It's still hard though. I actually had one principal texting almost the entire time during my interview. She's sitting next to me and texting slightly under the table.

anon55 likes this.
  15. gkis

gkis Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

Well, just now after 3 weeks they emailed and are of course offering it to someone else. What is the amazing thing though, the STEM Supervisor emailed again and wished me luck in finding a position, she also emailed a coupe of leads in other districts- I am very, very touched and of course used the opportunity to ask for pointers that would hep me be a better candidate.

Right after that I got an invite for an interview at a private special ed school in NJ, which I just love....so the fight continues.

anon55 and MissScrimmage like this.