Interviews Monday, what should I ask?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Briana008, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 7, 2008

I have two job interviews lined up for Monday and I am making sure I have all my ducks in a row. I know that the questions I ask the interviewers are an important part of the process, so I'm trying to think of some good ones. Here is what I have been thinking about so far:

1) What qualities are you looking for in a science teacher?
    2) How do you feel about inquiry in the classroom?
    3) How do you feel about using alternative assessment strategies?
    4) Does the science department plan units together/have standardized tests that are administered to all classes? (Not quite sure how to word that or if there is a specific term for that arrangement that I am not aware of, but it is the way the school I student teach in plans biology classes.)

What other things should I be asking about? I have never interviewed for a teaching job, so any advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

~Briana~

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

I would also add: What advice would you give the teacher that took this position?

Those are good questions that you have. I'm not sure how to better word the last one.

4. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Mar 7, 2008

5. smalltowngal

Mar 7, 2008

Those are great suggestions, Adam! I'm going to have to remember those.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

Ask if they have a new teacher mentor program. The principal I asked said he liked the question b/c no one had ever asked it before.

7. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Mar 8, 2008

You could ask them:

1)Why they would recommend teaching in their district?
    2)What sets them apart from xxx districts (name several high performing districts in the area)?
    3)How do they support teachers new to the district? Do they offer mentoring programs, etc.?

HOPE THIS HELPS - good luck!! :)

-meri

8. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 9, 2008

Wow, these are some really great suggestions! Thanks everybody! :)

~Briana~

9. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

i think the best questions are honest questions that sometimes come from the interview themselves.

when i was a new teacher, the only question i asked was... what is your time line?

i honestly didn't have any questions and i don't like to pretend. i'm not good at faking things (the same reason i don't wear a suit to interviews...i'm not a suit person and i'm just not good at faking it)

but the last time around, i asked questions that i really wanted to know the answers to...

like...what reading curriculum do you use?
    in one interview, they talked about a common language their staff used and i asked how they would get me up to speed on that language if i were hired.

when i sat on an interview team...i only wanted to hear genuine questions...not questions that they thought we wanted to hear.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2008

What are the opportunities for professional development?

11. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

How involved are the parents?

12. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 10, 2008

Well, I just got back from my interview (the second one was canceled, but that's on another thread). It went very well, and the principal will be making a decision in the next 7-10 days. He told me that I had a refreshing viewpoint to bring to the school (I talked a lot about inquiry and reaching students who may not be the most scientifically-inclined) and he didn't think I would have any problem finding a job. So I'm happy about that, but this school is a little farther away than what I was looking for. I'm going to make some follow-up calls this afternoon and see if I can get some more interviews.

I still welcome more suggestions for future interviews! Thanks, everyone! :hugs:

~Briana~

13. smalltowngal

Mar 10, 2008

That's great, Briana! I'm glad to hear that it went well. I'll be praying for you!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

Congratulations on the good interview! I hope that you can get some more interviews closer to where you want to be.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2008

I'm glad your interview went well. Hopefully something good will pan out for you!

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 10, 2008

Terrific! That is great news. And what a good feeling to have him say you shouldn't have any trouble getting a job. I know he doesn't have a crystal ball, but it is still good to hear.

Sounds like it really energized you. Best of luck.

BTW, Were any of the questions particularly hard? Any strange ones?

Lemonhead

17. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 10, 2008

Hmmm, let me see if I can remember a few of them.

1) What are you looking for in an administrator?
    2) How would your friends describe you?
    3) How would your parents describe you?
    4) On a scale from 1 to 10, rate your classroom management ability. (I hate these 1-10 type questions!!!)
    5) What is your greatest strength?
    6) What is your greatest weakness?
    7) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    8) What do you want to be when you *really* grow up? (I thought this one was a bit odd--um, I want to be a teacher! I said something about I really want to stay in the classroom and don't have any aspirations to be an administrator, etc.)

Those are the only ones I remember at the moment, though there were probably a few more.

~Briana~

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 10, 2008

Thank you for sharing.
    Hmm not too tough of questions, pretty basic. I had the 1-10 the other day and I told her as a sub I think I am about a 7 but in my own classroom I could see myself closer to a 10. She said "great answer".

I had all the other ones last year and of course the strength and weaknesses this year. I don't like the "where do you see yourself" ones.

I also had:

Tell me 3 words a student would use to describe you.
    Tell me 3 words the current administrator at your sub school would use to describe you. She knew him so that threw me.

Lemon