Interviews: Charter Vs. Public?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LC ELA, Jul 21, 2013.

1. LC ELA

LC ELA Rookie

Jul 21, 2013

Thus far, my interview opportunities have all been for charter schools. As such, I am used to multiple interviews followed by a demo lesson, etc. I have a public school interview coming up, and I am not really sure what to expect.

In your experience, what are the fundamental differences (if any) between charter school interviews and public school interviews? I know that interviews vary drastically from school to school, but I wonder what your experiences have been? Do you find that there is a distinct difference between the types of questions asked? Do you find one more difficult than the other?

Any insight you can offer is greatly appreciated!

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 21, 2013

I have never interviewed at a charter but my experience at p.s. interviews has been initial panel interview, demo lesson if school is in session, then interview with superintendent.

My husband's school takes it one step further and has the final candidates spend the whole day at the school on the day of the demo lesson. They eat lunch with the team and shadow a teacher throughout the day, and also meet other staff members.

I (and my husband agrees) feels that while that's a nice way for the candidates and the school to feel each other out, it's a lot to ask..a whole day of someone's time, esp. if they have another job.

His school is the only one I've heard of that does this, though.

4. LC ELA

LC ELA Rookie

Jul 21, 2013

Thanks for the info, Rainbowbird! I really appreciate it. The HR person referred to the interview as a "screening." Is that odd? I assume it just means round one. I was alarmed to even be called, as the position posting has been closed since May. I'm super nervous!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

I've had 21 different schools/districts offer me an interview this year (I took 18 of them), and I find that every district/school is different- regardless of being public or charter.

6. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

I had a charter school interview that was very much like what I know public school interviews are like...a panel interviewed me and then I did a demo lesson a week later.