Interviews but no offers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by talknteach, Jun 5, 2019.

1. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 5, 2019

Hi, I am hoping someone has had a similar experience (or has seen this happen to others) and can give me some advice. I was non renewed at my school this year due to shrinking enrollment. We lost a position and I was still at the end of my probationary period (3 years) and the most recent hire, so I was let go. My P gave me a nice letter of reference, said she would give positive info if contacted, and all my observations were great. I had been at that job 3 years, and have taught a total of 15 years in the classroom in 3 different grades, in 3 different states. I am trying to find a job in the same district I have been in the past 3 years. It is a large district.

Well, I cannot land a new job for anything! The rejection is horrible. I keep pepping myself up, I do everything I am supposed to- I research the school, have talking points, have answers to all the questions, smile, am confident...I feel like every single interview goes great and I should get the job. I am getting a good number of interviews- I have had a total of 10 interviews since March, and some of those schools had multiple positions (two second grade openings, a third grade and a K, etc.) so I think my resume/cover letters are fine. But I have not had a single offer. I keep getting, "We went with a better fit" or "We enjoyed talking to you, however, we went with another candidate." I have been qualified for every position, so it must be my personality/interview skills. Even though I think it always goes great, it must not. I have replied back to a few of the "We chose someone else" emails, asking what I should work on as I move forward with interviews for other jobs, but I have not received any feedback. I know they have to watch what they say. Am I too old? I am 47. Am I too experienced and they don't want to pay me (I don't get paid THAT much more than a less experienced teacher). What do you think? Ideas?

Mrs. Anxious likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2019

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

How did the Spanish-position interview go?!

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2019

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

Jun 6, 2019

English: Please keep us posted.

Spanish:
    Por favor mantenganos informados.

Pisces and Leaborb192 like this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2019

Pisces and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. Pi2

Pi2 Rookie

Jun 6, 2019

I understand you!

I have had 4 interviews so far (in person and demo lessons), and I felt good with some of them, but I was rejected by all. One principal emailed me that she personally liked me, but she had to honor the panel so they "decided to go with other candidate." It must be my personality or my answers but I just saw the school company (they were charter schools) posted the job hiring again.

I felt so lost and discouraged about it. Must be I was a recently graduated teacher, with very little experience.

But I believe you will do well because as you said, you feel more confident than me. I was always nervous during interviews.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2019

10. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 6, 2019

Update:

I am not the person who was interviewing for a Spanish job, BTW!

I had another interview today. It went fine. I didn't feel as strongly about it as I have other interviews, but there weren't any problems.

I have asked for feedback from a few principals but only one has gotten back with me- see below:

About a month ago, I interviewed for a job. I really wanted it and thought it went great. I was shocked when she called to say I didn't get the job, but she said that if she could help me by giving me a good word at another school to let her know. Her partner school (she is at the 3-6 school, the partner school is K-2) just posted a job yesterday, so I applied and emailed her, asking her to put in a good word and I asked if there was anything I should work on with regard to my interview skills. She got back with me and said she would contact the other principal, and she also said my interview was great, but to make sure I talk up what makes the school unique. I thought I did that but I will do it even more in my next interview (I really talked up the school a TON at another recent interview that I really, really wanted and didn't get any of the 3 positions they were hiring for...sigh...)

I also talked to my old AP and she said when she interviewed me, there were no problems. So I am feeling a little better. Maybe I am just severely underestimating the cronyism that goes on. I understand if you are a P, you want to hire someone who has worked for you before, or is connected to the school- but for approx 17 jobs (from the 10 interviews, since many of them had multiple spots)????

11. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 6, 2019

Thanks! You will get a great job!

12. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 6, 2019

What is a GD school? Why would you feel like a loser over 1 rejection? Don't be so hard on yourself!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

Jun 6, 2019

I think GD is an abbreviation for “God Damn.”

Leaborb192 likes this.
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2019

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 7, 2019

If you are having good interviews then the only thing I can think of is someone just had a little better interview than you. You might have done nothing wrong but someone just outshone you in one or more areas. You will eventually be the best at one interview at some point and YOU will get the job.

alp123 likes this.
  16. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 7, 2019

In my district, if a school hires someone from within the district who was released at the end of their probationary period, they are no longer probationary. Basically, they are being given tenure, so it is a much bigger commitment than hiring in someone new to the district. I think this is standard for California. My school did offer a job once to someone in that situation, but it was something the hiring committee was aware of and discussed thoroughly.

17. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 9, 2019

OP, you will get a job. It is so much easier to get hired towards the end of summer when teachers are locked in their contracts, less competition.

starflower32, talknteach and alp123 like this.
  18. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 9, 2019

Thank you!!!

19. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 9, 2019

If you were here in the deep South you'd get a job tomorrow!

20. futuremathsprof

Jun 10, 2019

So I guess in this case if you’re career goes South, then that would be a good thing?! :D

Leaborb192 likes this.
  21. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 10, 2019

I see what you did there. Well played. :handwaving:

Leaborb192 and futuremathsprof like this.
  22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2019

I am not clear on why you weren’t automatically offered another job in your district if there were positions available. In my district, teachers are only RIF’d if there are too many teachers for the enrollment.

futuremathsprof, dennfarr and bella84 like this.
  23. dennfarr

dennfarr Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

I have had several interviews with no luck either. It seems they have an idea of the perfect person and that is who they go with. I interviewed a week ago for one position and haven't heard from them. I did however see they posted the job that I interviewed for a few days ago. They listed the salary and I would have to take a $12,000 pay cut! Not sure if I could do it anyways. It is a great job but not sure if I could afford that kind of a cut. Not so sure if the classroom is really where I want to be and want something different....Maybe it's because of all the rejections.

24. futuremathsprof

Jun 11, 2019

What was the exact salary they offered?

25. dennfarr

dennfarr Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

The job posting said salary is $30,000. Since it was posted a week after my interview, I assume they don't want me. Illinois is in the process of passing a bill to require all teachers make at least $40,000 but that won't take place for another few years. I was hoping they would go ahead and start offering that to the teachers.

26. futuremathsprof

Jun 11, 2019

$30,000 is completely unacceptable for a starting teacher. $40,000 should be the minimum — Illinois is on the right track.

whizkid and Leaborb192 like this.
  27. dennfarr

dennfarr Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

I do agree, however the position only requires you to plan and teach one Social Emotional lesson per day, but you do have to monitor and oversee a class of jr high/high school students who complete their work through online curriculum. I can understand less pay, because of less work but still $30,000 isn't much at all considering I can work at a factory making this amount.

28. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 11, 2019

Yea, but it's the norm in some states. Hell, I know a retired part time teacher making that. Yes, making a starting salary only working part time, so that just drives your point home even further.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  29. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2019

30. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 11, 2019

Educators aren't as valued as state and federal lawmakers like to portray.

31. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2019

32. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 11, 2019

And that shortage is only going to get worse. I've read that teacher education programs around the nation having falling enrollments. It really hurts poor and minority communities because those are the last places many people want to teach. They really have no long term financial incentive. Outside of working there 3-5 years and having some loans forgiven, that's it. And with the number of teachers entering retirement, that doesn't bode well at all. We have so many long term subs until it'll blow your mind!

33. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 11, 2019

I guess as far as employment, there is an advantage to living in places with teacher shortages and low income communities........the jobs are plentiful even if not in the best situations.......elementary ed, middle school and high school especially subject areas. It doesn't take much to get hired in locations such as these.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  34. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 11, 2019

And if you're multi-credentialed, you really have your choice of positions.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Leaborb192 and futuremathsprof like this.
  35. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2019

36. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 12, 2019

Yea, well in the deep South you wouldn't have that trouble. Just different regions I guess.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  37. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 13, 2019

You keep saying deep south. You mean south of TX? It is still competitive over here.

38. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 13, 2019

No, I mean places like Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee. There are severe teacher shortages in various areas in these states but especially in Mississippi.

39. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 13, 2019

In my first district, that is what they did if one school lost a position but another school had one- they simply transferred the teacher. They don't do that here, at least not with probationary teachers. I finished my third year in this district, so if I get another contract I will not be probationary any more- whoo hoo!!! That is a good question to ask, if I hadn't been probationary, would they have had to find me a job?

Missy likes this.
  40. Sherry Downen

Sherry Downen New Member

Jun 25, 2019

I am a recent graduate in Arkansas. MlED (Math/Social Studies) the competition in this state is alive and well. I have only been on 2 interviews with no offers of employment. My hope is before school returns in August, i will have an opportunity however reality is I will probably need to substitute in multiple districts in hopes of eventually getting a job.