Interviews at private schools

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by TamiJ, May 22, 2009.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 22, 2009

After an absence of a couple months, I am back. Life is still somewhat of a mess, but I am feeling much better.

Quick question: I have applied to a private school in Guadalajara, Mexico, and I know the lady is checking on my references (I have heard from two of them that she has contacted them). This is a Christian school, and I am Christian, but I do not belong to a church. I don't know if that is going to hurt me. Anyway, having said that, what sort of questions should I expect from them, if this should turn into an interview?

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 22, 2009

Good to have you back TamiJ

Major.......:):)

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 22, 2009

Thanks Major! I am very happy to be back...

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 22, 2009

Welcome back! I would think that you would get the same sort of questions for a public school teaching job and they may ask you if you'd be comfortable teaching religion. Good luck!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 22, 2009

Thanks Jessica!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2009

I think it varies very widely depending on the school.

8. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 24, 2009

Since it's a Christian school I would think that they will ask what you Christian Philosophy of Education is. This is basically how you think the Bible should be used in teaching at this school. They might ask you some questions about how you think faith plays into the role of school.

9. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 23, 2009

With the interviews I have been on with private schools, I was expected to minister to the kids alot. Praying out loud will be the norm. One question I was asked was if I felt I had ever led a child to Christ.

As a pp said, I think it depends on the school.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 23, 2009

They might ask you to profess your faith in some way. Basically, the Creed would answer that.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

I didn't realize how old this thread was, so I'd like to know Tami how it went.
    I was going to say that I'm sure they are going to ask you what church you frequent or have membership with...and if you don't belong to a Church, this it's always best to be up front about that. Do explain your beliefs and be expected to explain to them why you are not a part of a church.

12. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 27, 2010

For anyone who works/interviewed at a Catholic School,

How have you personally answered the question pertaining to how to integrate religion into the classroom?

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

This is really weird to see my post from a while ago about the job where I am currently at. Sheesh!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

I'm in a Catholic High school, but I teach math, so it doesn't come up as often as it might in elementary ed.

I start each class with a prayer.

But when we need to talk about morality, we do. So after last week's aftershock in Haiti, we talked about it and how those poor people, having lost everything they owned, were still terrified as the ground below their tent cities shook.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2010

RockAngel, I'm at a Lutheran school, but I remember well that question...

I integrate religion into discipline--there are consequences for actions, but then I share Christ's forgiveness.

We do devotions in the morning and prayer at the end of the day.

Religion often comes up in discussions in science and reading, especially when talking about characters in a story.

Like Alice said, though, it's all about how you can address situations as they arise. It's something that has come more and more naturally to me each year. When kids are arguing, we can sing "Brothers and Sisters in Christ" during devos. When I'm noticing a lack in effort, we when we can talk about honoring God by using the talents He gave us to the fullest.