Interviewing!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by turboteach, Apr 26, 2004.

1. turboteach

turboteach Companion

Apr 26, 2004

Hi Everyone!

I finally have an interview on Thursday...YA HOO! I'm so excited but nervous at the same time. Unlike interviewing for a particular position, I will be evaluated for a substitute position. I am having a really difficult time coming up with QUALITY questions that I can ask the interviewer. I've already checked out this site, which has some great interview questions that I may be asked, but little for questions to ask them. This is difficult because I cannot ask permanent teacher questions, such as "what kinds of materials will my classroom have?", "can I meet my teaching assistant?", "what kinds of clubs/sports teams do you have at this school?" because I will be interviewing with a District, not an individual school.

Can anyone help me with some general questions? I have researched the District and have one question that I would like to ask about the schools in this District. I would really appreciate any words of wisdom, advice or general comments if you have gone through an interview recently and have something to add!

Thanks for your responses! :)

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 26, 2004

I transferred some posts from here about interviewing to the tips section. Go click on the orange tips tab and click on the Job Interviews category.

Here's that link...
    http://atozteacherstuff.com/Tips/Job_Interviews/index.shtml

I was thinking there were more tips there, but we'll just have to add more here for ya. :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 26, 2004

You might want to ask questions about the possibility of being hired for a classroom. How would they suggest someone go about making the jump from sub to teacher? What percentage of subs has done this?

Otherwise, you should find out: what their calling policy is (how long a notice you would get), if you can select certain schools in the district or must take all, can you limit your schedule to 4 days a week (or whatever you are interested in), do they provide maps to schools, what is the policy with a difficult assignment - see the principal, call the sub coordinator, etc., do they provide sub training or continuing ed, is there an association of subs you could talk with, is there a resource center which you could access ......

5. Teacher24

Teacher24 Guest

Apr 26, 2004

interviewing

You can ask about duties you might have (lunch room, recess, etc.) If it a long term position, do you have to supply the plans? Are people hired from sub to permanent? Hope these help. Relax and enjoy it- it's good experience!

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Apr 26, 2004

sub

In our county a sub must be paid as a 3100 if the number of days in attendance in the same position exceeds ____ (cant remember the number now) Its significant in that you may want to find out if the pay scale changes for you, if you are offered benefits once you have been there a certain amount of time.

I always like to ask if there is a social committee or if there is a seasoned teacher that you will be able to go to in addressing any of your concerns regarding procedures.

Are the students homogeneously grouped, will you be required to instruct the special area classes as well...

Does the school have a calendar of Staff development trainings and would you be entitled to those trainings as a sub.

Hope this is helpful.

7. turboteach

turboteach Companion

Apr 27, 2004

Many thanks ladies (and possibly gents)!

I planned on asking them: "what kind of mentorship does this district offer for substitutes and new teachers?" and "what the call out procedure is - what time, how often you can 'pass' on a school or teacher, if you can be available only certain days."

Keep those ideas coming...I really appreciate all the wonderful help I have received from this AWESOME website.

Thanks! :)

8. turboteach

turboteach Companion

Apr 30, 2004

Good News!

Hi everyone!

I wanted to let you know that I got the job I interviewed for on Thursday! :D I'm so excited and can't wait to get started. Thank you for all your encouragement and thoughtful questions...I wish those fellow practicum students all the success in their coming interviews!

Take care :D

9. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 30, 2004

CONGRATS! That's great that you already know. :D

10. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 30, 2004

Woo hoo!! Congratulations!!!

11. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Apr 30, 2004

Congratulations! What a relief not to have to worry all summer.:D

12. adria

adria Comrade

May 1, 2004

CONGRADULATIONS :D :) ;)

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 1, 2004

I'm so happy for you! I bet you will be a great teacher. Good luck and have fun.

14. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 1, 2004

What wonderful news. I know you will do great. You always have such great ideas to post here.