Interviewing While Teaching Full Time

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, Apr 22, 2013.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Apr 22, 2013

Hey guys!

I'm currently working as a longterm substitute in a great district (I worked TWO maternity leaves this year, which made my resume look a million times better :)). Right now I'm in the process of applying for full time positions. NJ is very competitive so I'll be searching all over the state. I'm perfectly willing to relocate if it means a full time position is waiting for me.

However, I'm not sure what to do if I have multiple interview(s) far away (2 hours or more), because, as a longterm sub, I don't have sick or personal days to use for job interviews. I know I can always ask for coverage 7 and 8th period, but feel this might look dodgy if I have a slew of interviews (like I did last year) and need a lot of time off. Do you think some districts are willing to conduct phone interviews first, especially for a screening interview, and then in-person interviews if you make the cut?

Any suggestions? I'm sure districts run into this "problem" all the time.

Thanks! :love:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2013

I do think that most districts are willing to do phone or Skype interviews.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2013

When I was a LTS in NJ, I still had sick and personal days to use...you could also chose to take the day unpaid if necessary. I would always ask about phone or Skype interviews first because of your situation, but if it's not doable, your school should be understanding...I mean, unless you have a definite, offical job with them for next year, they have to expect you to be looking. Good luck!!!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2013

Phone/Skype interviews are regional. Where I teach- no problem. Where I am applying- it is uber competitive, and they are not usually that willing to do it.

6. ayla

ayla Companion

Apr 22, 2013

Yeah I would take unpaid and go in person if necessary, otherwise just take sick/personal. If they are not offering you a full time position they know you will be interviewing elsewhere.

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Apr 23, 2013

Thanks guys. :) I guess asking for phone/skype interviews first wouldn't hurt my chances too much, especially if they're conducting a screening interview, but if that's not possible, I can always take an unpaid day and drive in person. You're right. Anyone who glances at my resume can figure out the situation.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2013

I was 2nd choice with a phone interview. The reason that they chose the other person over me was that they were from the town. I did have to go in for a 2nd interview in person with the superintendent.