Interviewing While Pregnant

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FarFromHome, Apr 2, 2014.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2014

I'm almost 8 months pregnant and interviewing for next school year. I've had two interviews already, but they were phone and skype. Tomorrow is my first in-person interview this year. I have a few questions...

I'm not exactly sure what to wear. Usually I would wear a suit, but I don't have a maternity one. So my options are black pants with a nice blouse and sweater or a dress with a sweater. Which option do you think would be best?

Also, I've been wondering if I should say anything about my pregnancy. I know they can't legally discriminate against me for being pregnant, but it's also very easy for them to just find reasons to hire someone else. Would it be really weird to mention that I will definitely be starting work in August (or something to that effect)? I will be our main income, so I don't have the option of staying home.

Thanks!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 2, 2014

I think as long as you look professional you will be fine. I do not think it would be weird to mention at the end if the interview that you plan to start work in August.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2014

Thank you agdamity!

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 2, 2014

I think either one would be fine, but I would wear the dress personally. I also think it would be fine to mention that you are planning to start work in August.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2014

Thanks Tasha!

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 2, 2014

I interviewed when I was very pregnant, and I went through the interview as normal, without mentioning it. When they asked if I had any questions or comments at the end, I talked about it and my plan. Like you said, they can't discriminate but can and will find "reasons". They were all fine.

I got that job. :)

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2014

Thanks!

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 3, 2014

I hope your interview went well! :)

Personally, I would mention/discuss it- my child is due during this month and I plan to return to work in August, my husband and I have discussed child-care plans, etc. I know they can't discriminate but if you have a plan in place, that might help your case :)

Congrats on the interview and the baby on the way!

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2014

Thank you! I think the interview went well. This was just a screening interview and she said second interviews would be held next week. I mentioned the pregnancy/starting work in August and she said it wasn't a concern at all. So now I just have to wait and hope I get called back for the second interview!