Interviewing when you really want a different job...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Learner4Life, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 17, 2008

So I have an interview tomorrow at a school that I'm not thrilled about but I would take the job because I want to be a teacher. I'm afraid, however, that I'm going to botch the interview because I would rather be teaching at the school I'm at now. There will be two positions opening here soon but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, if you know what I mean.
    I know I'll do the best I can at this interview but I'm afraid my reluctance will show through in my interview. And what if I'm offered this job at the new school and then the school I'm at wants to hire me too?
    Last year I had no options and now I have too many!!! EEK!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2008

Learner, you just have to put on a brave face and act like this is the best job in the world and you want it. View it as a dress rehearsal for your dream school interview. If they offer you a position, just let them know that you appreciate the offer and you will have to sleep on it. Or let them know that you have another interview (even if you don't) and that you would like to keep the appointment, but will let them know shortly. Good luck!

4. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 17, 2008

I second everything that STG said. I was actually in a similar situation and none of the interviewers seemed to mind me saying that I had to think about the offer, had more interviews, etc. I also found that even if I was less than enthused going into the interview, I tended to get "in the zone" during the interview and could actually visualize myself working in that school.

In fact, I wasn't particularly excited about the school I was just hired to work at until I was in the middle of the interview. Now I'm downright excited about my new job! So just try to go in with an open mind and go with the flow of the interview. And hey--having too many options is a great problem to have! :)

Good luck!

~Briana~