Interviewing tomorrow

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kevmic28, Jun 24, 2012.

1. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jun 24, 2012

I am interviewing tomorrow for a first grade esl position. Can anyone post a few good questions that I may be asked. I know its summer and its late but I could always use a few pointers. My interviewing skills are not the best. So far I keep hearing elaborate more. Thats great but Im a first year teacher and dont have enough experiences to be able to talk on subject like an experienced teacher will. I will be giving a 10 minute synopsis of a lesson so I am hoping that will push me ahead of the lack of experience.
    Im not the normal college graduate looking for their first job. I am a 38 year old male. I retired from my first career and decided to go finish my degree and follow my heart to work with children. I am also a full time single father of a great 12 year young man.
    So how can I make myself stand out more?????

3. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 24, 2012

My advice is to be positive & confident. Mention being able to be flexible. Hands-on learning & student centered learning (creating independence for the students as they learn). Have a behavior management plan in mind and discuss this. Also, ESL learners have to have "differentiated learning". Give examples as to how you can make it work.

Good Luck:)

4. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jun 25, 2012

Good luck! I'm 10 years your junior and I am also involved in a 1st grade hiring basis tomorrow. I passed the interview stage so now I'll be teaching a 10 minute segment. Good luck to both of us :)

5. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

-Use 5 adjectives to describes who you are.
    -How can you differentiate to meet the needs of the students in your classroom?
    -How can you make sure that you reached the goal(s) of the lesson?

Be confident and keep a positive attitude.
    Good Luck

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2012

Good luck!

Is this a support or classroom position? If support, how will you support these students in their general education classroom? How will you integrate English with the students' native language?

7. cwatts

cwatts Rookie

Jul 29, 2012

Best of luck to you!