Interviewing Questions- Spec Ed

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Bubbles37, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Bubbles37

Bubbles37 Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I am a new Spec. Ed. graduate and current Elem. Ed. teacher. I have an interview on July, Friday 18, 2008. I am terrified :eek: I don't know what kind of interview questions will be asked and how to answer them. Any ideas out there? :help:

3. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

What area of disability are you interviewing for? That will give us a better idea of what type of questions will be asked.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

I would perhaps be prepared for questions about how you work with parents and also with other teachers. Team work stuff?
    Definitely assessment questions...

5. Bubbles37

Bubbles37 Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I will be interviewing for a Elementary Special Education position. Because of the district I am linked to and the special needs school I have been working in, this position will most likely include downs, learning delays, behavior issues and Othopedic Impairments. Students may be various ages.

6. iheartsped

iheartsped Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

1. How do you differentiate instruction?
    2. What does classroom management mean to you?
    3. What are you currently reading?
    4. Do you think all students can learn?
    5. Are you comfortable giving medications and possibly changing diapers?
    6. Do you have any experience working with adaptive equipment/technology?
    7. How would you handle an angry parent?

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 12, 2008

Most of the questions will probably be about differentiation, modifying school work, class management, reading programs you may have used in the past and balanced literacy programs. Many interviewers like to give "what would you do if" kinds of questions to see how you think on your feet; don't be afraid to ask if you can take a few minutes to think about the answer before answering.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2008

1. How well do you work on a team? Working in a special education classroom requires a real team player because there are many service providers that work with the students. Everyone needs to be on the same page. Be sure to highlight your leadership and teamwork skills that might prove to be helpful when it comes to managing a classroom and other service providers.
    2. What experiences do you have working with children with disabilities (if you don't have a lot - I would highlight what you DO have, student teaching, etc.) Also, you can talk about experiences where you worked with children (babysitting, camp, substitute teaching, etc.) and you gained valuable experience in those settings that could transfer to a teaching position.
    3. How do you plan to communicate with your students' parents? Communication is very important with special education students. Especially students who are unable to effectively communicate on their own, their parents like to know what happened at school that day. You can maybe mention technology skills (e-mailing parents is a good idea if you are in a school/area that has computer savvy parents, sending home a daily notebook, creating a daily sheet that you fill out, etc. )
    4. How will you include your students in the regular curriculum? How will you allow your students to access grade level material? NCLB says that "ALL CHILDREN" will be on grade level in a few years. (They don't like to talk about the kids with 36 IQs or who are profoundly disabled.) At FIRST, I thought this was IMPOSSIBLE. But I came up with clever ways to "expose" my students to different curriculum content by giving it to them mixed with functional skills. (Grade level objective, conserving the environment: my students, collecting cans and paper from classrooms and delivering it to the recycling bin, small discussions about how we are saving the earth as we do it.... and working on hallway behavior, vocational skills, communication ("Have a good day!") etc.) There are SO many things you can do with grade level content without expecting the kids to pass a grade level test (even though this is sometimes an expectation too... that's nuts also).........But including statements/ideas on how you plan to include your students in the grade level curriculum will certainly highlight your knowledge of NCLB and how you will have high expectations for your students, regardless of their disabilities.

9. staceyteach

staceyteach Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Your information was very helpful.

10. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 13, 2008

On my interview I was asked how I handled difficult children and I just gave an example. You have to stress patience working with these children (specially the ED students). Also, I was asked about my class routine, assessment and working with the parents. I am a 2nd year ppcd teacher.

11. staceyteach

staceyteach Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Thanks for your help.

12. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Here's a link to a website with a five point guideline for preparing for a special education interview:

What To Expect in a Special Education Teaching Job Interview:
    http://www.theapple.com/careers/4578-what-to-expect-in-a-special-education-teaching-job-interview-

13. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

I've gotten How would you deal with a contensious parent?

How would you prepare a student and a general ed. teacher for mainstreaming?

How would you teach social skills?

What teaching strategies have you been exposed too?

What do you know about auditory processing and sensory dysfunction?

Are you familar with Boardmaker? (If not download a 30 day trial)

14. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

Tell me about the IEP process

15. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Social skills is something that is learned within their daily routine. Some get, some do not. IEP are individual goals for each student. In the beginning it will be tough to do assessments but once you get organized and get a good data collection process going then you will be okay. I usually try to work on 2 students per week with IEP goal process.

16. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

How did it go? When will you hear?

17. staceyteach

staceyteach Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

The interview is today 7/21. I will let you know how it went later. Thanks for inquiring.

18. Bubbles37

Bubbles37 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Interview

I interviewed for a position on Friday the 18th. Eight people interviewed me and I knew five. Those who saw me did not know that I was aware of 16 positions for September. So, I know I at least have a chance for one position. I was not as nervous as I usually am. However, I won't find out the results of my interview till later this week. The board has to decide on Tuesday the 22nd. To those who responded to my entry, thanks for all of your advice. It helped me calm down some. :)

19. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 21, 2008

How lucky for you that you knew folks on the panel! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!