Interviewing on the other side

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jun 8, 2015.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 8, 2015

I get to sit in on interviews for my department tomorrow. What are some things I should look for or ask? This is my first time on the other side.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2015

When I've been on interview panels, I've asked about classroom management, experience working with particular texts, and experience working with diverse student populations. I'm looking for candidates to talk about real experiences without a lot of baloney or empty buzzwords.

4. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 9, 2015

When we do interviews, we have a list of 12 questions that we have to ask. There are four of us on the interviewing panel, and we just take turns going through the questions. Basically they cover classroom management, expectations, reaching unmotivated students, getting parents involved, discipline procedures, instruction delivery, etc.
    As for what we look for? I'll echo Caesar753 and say real experience. After the candidate leaves, our discussion usually centers around how the students will respond to the person (respect them, resent them, walk all over them?), how they will fit in and get along with the rest of the faculty and staff, and whether they are likely to stick around in our small, rural neck of the woods.
    The two we hired are a familiar face who is returning to our school after a brief hiatus due to a very sick child, and a new face who just "clicked" with us and seems to be very eager and promising. You just kind of "know" when you're talking to a person who is going to be a good fit.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 9, 2015

I wish I could interview people for my department now. I used to hate it when I was on interview teams in my other jobs. But I would like to ask some questions of potential colleagues now.

I'd ask what their definition of grade inflation was.

I'd ask what grade they'd give a student that failed both grading periods but squeezed out a D on the final exam (which has 30 point curve).

I'd ask if they felt some school rules were okay to break and under what circumstances. I'm sure I wouldn't get a totally honest answer from most applicants but I'm pretty sure I could read their body language and figure out where they stand.

I'd give a scenario - one that actually happened to me - and ask them how they'd handle it. Maybe the power goes out school wide while you're lecturing via powerpoint. It is dark in your room and you've scheduled a test for the next day. What do you do?

Another one - you have a student with ADHD that will not sit still/be quiet. His actions are distracting to his classmates, no matter where he sits. You suspect that most of his behaviors are purposeful and attention-seeking. What do you do? (I wouldn't expect a "right" answer for this but would instead look for intent/philosophy, etc.)

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 9, 2015

Thanks, guys! It was very interesting today. There was definitely one candidate I just felt right about, but we have some great ones! We lucked out. Looking forward to moving forward now!