Interviewing in a district I already work for

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by adf0625, Sep 14, 2015.

1. adf0625

adf0625 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

So i have been working in one district for a few years as a per diem substitute. I did a short leave replacement there (but didn't have to interview for it because it was somewhat informal and unfortunately wasn't long enough to qualify for leave replacement pay)and it went pretty well. I also student taught in this school and thought things were going well for me there. I got an opportunity to interview for a formal leave replacement position with the chairperson, whom i had met before and prior to this interview, seemed to be impressed with my work. The the interview came and I completely bombed it and i feel like i made a fool of myself. As a result, I did not get the job. Now I feel awkward continuing to sub at this school. Is this unreasonable? Did I blow any chance I ever had of getting a job in this district? I was also so embarrassed that I did not send a thank you note, which i now regret. Now what do I do?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 14, 2015

Considering its Long Island, if they gave you one shot and you blew it as you say, then yeah you may not get another chance unless you get a position elsewhere and come back with some experience.

Can I ask what made you feel you blew it?

As you know LI is extremely competitive with hundreds if not thousands of teachers applying for one position.

I would expand your horizons and sub at other districts or even in the city. I would apply to any open positions at any school, charter, public, private within a reasonable commuting distance.

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Sep 14, 2015

I dont live in that area. So every teacher position in that District must be interviewed by him? What if you applied later in time for another position? Maybe you can just get interviewed by a school's principal and staff and you can get lucky and not have to interview with that guy again...

5. adf0625

adf0625 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

I faltered a lot and my answers weren't great. When I got home, I thought of much better things to say. I didn't really elaborate on anything because I blanked out and couldn't think of anything. I also accidentally said something that may have been perceived as knocking a former coworker (not in this district, but that doesn't really matter) even though that wasn't what i meant to say, but it just came out of my mouth that way. i tried to backpedal a bit but the damage was done. i realize this is a major no-no, so i knew as soon as it came out of my mouth, i was done. the interview went on for about half an hour. he didn't cut me short or anything but i just didn't think it went well.

I'm hoping he thinks I'm just inexperienced and that I don't interview well. I understand completely why he didn't hire me. It's just awkward because he handpicked me for the first leave replacement I did and even observed a lesson that I did while I was there. He even looked at the lesson before I taught it and we discussed it in detail. I know that doesn't change anything but maybe it won't ruin my chances forever. I'm hoping he'll think I have potential.

I realize this may have created a dead end in this district so I have begun applying in other districts as well. Right now I am continuing to work there because it's the only job I have and, especially on Long Island, any job is better than no job at all.

I'm just disappointed in how it turned out. I really love the district and the school and wish I had done better in the interview.

6. adf0625

adf0625 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

He is the district chairperson for my subject. I don't know if he interviews all candidates for positions or if that would be left up to the principal. I think in this district, permanent positions would include a principal as well. This interview was the chairperson and two teachers.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 14, 2015

You'll come to find out in LI not to put your eggs in one basket. I know many teachers who were nothing but permanent subs for years never getting a position. I mean like 7 years. I'm also talking about elementary Ed though which is highly saturated. People have more success working a few years in NYC and then getting a full time position on LI. And that interview process is no joke. Multiple people interviewing them, plus a demo with a few people watching, and then another interview plus meeting the superintendent.

It's really hard to land a job on LI without connections or experience. Impossible, no, but not a walk in the park.

Good luck with what you decide, but don't beat yourself up over the first interview. It takes practice to get good at it, and even then you still might not be what they are looking for. It's not personal.

8. adf0625

adf0625 Rookie

Sep 15, 2015

Thanks. I'm hoping the time working there until I find a new job isn't too weird.

9. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 15, 2015

In a previous district I worked, there was a woman who was subbing there for years trying to get a permanent position. She interviewed for 2 or 3 positions within the district and was passed over, but then eventually they hired her. In the same district, there was a woman who was also passed over more than once and hired. I wouldn't stop subbing there just because you didn't get the job. Maybe next time there is an opening, you'll get hired. :)

10. adf0625

adf0625 Rookie

Oct 24, 2015

I've continued subbing in this school but I'm finding myself feeling incredibly embarrassed. There is actually another leave opening but I'm too embarrassed to even apply again. I think it's too soon and I more than likely blew my chance. It sucks.

I was offered a permanent sub job in another district and turned it down. Now I think maybe I should have taken it. Should I call them and see if there are any sub openings? I know it may be a long shot but do you think that makes me look bad? I'm so lost. I want to just give up on teaching altogether.

11. pommom

pommom Comrade

Oct 30, 2015

How are things going with you? Are charter schools hard to get in over in your area too?

12. adf0625

adf0625 Rookie

Nov 8, 2015

There aren't really that many charter schools around here. Most are in the city.

I'm still subbing in this school though the embarrassment hasn't quite gone away. I want to redeem myself but I'm not sure if I'll ever get the opportunity. I really wish I hadn't turned down the other job. Is there any point in calling that district and letting them know I'd be interested if a permanent sub spot opened up again? Is that too forward? When I turned it down, I told them it was because the school I am currently at offered me a permanent substitute position as well. The job at the school I am at now is temporary (though they didn't tell me when it will end) but I did not tell the other school this.