interviewing frustrations

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tired.mom, Jul 23, 2014.

1. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 23, 2014

I am back, after a several-year hiatus. I resigned teaching to finish grad school and am now looking for school counseling jobs. Got two interviews thus far, but one this afternoon canceled due to being filled from within. Ok, fine. Had one this morning, and parts of it went well, but other parts--not so much. I do much better with "conversational" interviews, as opposed to being read questions from a list. I need to work on that; I think the silence rattles me and I start rambling.

Another candidate was in the reception area, and was called into an HR office, with closed door, before the interviewer met with me. I then was called back, interviewed, and also told to go back to reception. The HR person came back later, thank me (in the seating area--not behind closed door), I thanked him and made associated small talk, then left.

Thoughts? Bad sign that I wasn't taken into an office for private conversation, or do you all think it matters?! The other candidate much more casually dress in a lightweight dress and flat sandals. I wore a dress with jacket, hose and heels--which now I wonder was TOO dressy?! Ack! I hate second-guessing everything!!!!!

I have read so much here throughout the years, and wish you all the best...but any ideas or insight might be appreciated! I have applied to most districts within an hour's commute, and was thrilled when I got two interviews...which is now really just the one.

I tend to think that I won't be invited back for a 2nd interview...live and learn.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

Was anyone else in the seating area when the HR person came to speak to you? The previous person may have been taken because you were sitting there.

I don't know much about the counseling job market, but congratulations on landing an interview. Hopefully there will be more to come. What did they tell you about the decision-making process?

4. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 23, 2014

Thanks for the encouraging words. :) I was sitting out front when the other candidate was brought into an office, but I'm not sure if he knew who I was at that point. Maybe that was it...trying to stay positive! I sent thank you emails and I guess that's all I can do at this point.

I asked about a timeline, and he was vague and said he had no real idea as to when 2nd interviews would happen, but said I'd be contacted by email either way. They also ran about 20 minutes late, so maybe they were frazzled.

5. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 23, 2014

you said parts went well and others not so much. specfically tell us the parts that didnt't go well and I can try to help.

You sound a lot like me, i analyze it all. What I learned, mainly from the other younger/hyper-confident yet often under-skilled people in my program is that you gotta act it. Dont act pretenious style of confidence but you need to beleive that literally you could do a far better job in this position than most people. Convince yourself that; and just radiate your firm beleif that you are qualifed and truly could serve the school better than the silly girl with sandals and no hose. Prob is you gotta figure out the "agenda" of the school - with cousenlors it maybe more dif.- but figure out thier programs, problems, ie did they redistrict and get tons more students who are ELL, etc. Try to figure out their needs before interview and dont be afraid to sell yourself a bit at the end. But that confidence is key; practice the tell me about yourself Q. you know it will be asked first. keep it professional - nothing about personal life unless its a selling point and ties into ur career path and unique qualifications. you can do it. also bring documentation with u and integrate it, make a brochure, leave them with something that says "i did a ton of work for this interview"

6. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 23, 2014

The interview was just difficult in that I got very little feedback or confirmation that they were actively listening (counseling term, lol, means we're nodding, etc)--it was one of those where they ask you the specific questions, pause, and I respond. Very hard to gauge if I was making a connection or not, so I start rambling. I need to fix that; but I DID manage to engage them and bring them "into" one or two of my narratives, so that was good (both people responded and laughed, which was a good sign...then they went back to interview persona).

I need not to get rattled and start rambling; I tried to draw out information about the campus that I'd researched and already knew about, but they kept to the script, which I'm guessing is to be fair to all candidates.

I had two interviews last year; got the one with the more conversational interviewing style, did not get the one with the very structured question and answer one. I just need to work on improving that style of interview and figure out a way to overcome it.

What is odd--they didn't ask anything close to 'tell me about yourself.' That was interesting. Or not, lol. This is also a low SES school, and I tried to turn the conversation that way since I have a lot of experience with at-risk students and schools, but my thought is they're wanting to improve their public image, so that wasn't discussed, at all. Interesting.

Rehashing all this, it does sound like I did better than I thought at first; I just need communication!! (which I mentioned in the interview, haha)

Off to apply for more stuff.

7. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 24, 2014

I think some schools make up their minds who they want before the interviews or even in the first 5 mins. That means they don't active listen. I know what you mean with the litany of questions. I had a few of those. Try to turn them into conversation or just answer like hitting check marks in a box. I think bring up yourexperiences. Answer with examples.