Interviewing for Preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SittinInATree, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 18, 2008

Hello! I am interviewing for a preschool position this week. It is for a private school that is well known in my area and has a great reputation. They have twos, threes, fours and Kindergarten. I would like to be in Kindergarten since I taught that before (in a public school) but the interview is for twos, which is fine. I think twos would be fun, although I have no experience with that. I was wondering what to expect in the interview? They said after they ask me some questions that they will let me observe the classes (which is just playcare this week and next until school starts) but really they will most likely be observing me with the kids.

What kinds of things are two-year-olds learning these days? I would assume colors, number recognition, letter recognition, name recognition, motor skills... would you agree with that? Is there anything else that I missed?

What kinds of center activities do you have for two year olds?

How would two and three year old classes differ?

Are there any good books for me that you would recommend?

What should I wear? I normally have a strict suit-only policy for interviews (LOL) but since I will be working with the kids for a couple hours, that might not work out so well. I was thinking nice pants and maybe a short-sleeved sweater or nice blouse and ncie shoes. Would that be ok?

Lastly, what kind of pay rate should I expect? I know every state and center is different, especially if it is a privately owned place and not public school. I have a Masters in Education and am a certified teacher so I know they probably won't be able to pay me what I am worth, but I know I won't be making the same as when I was in public school. That is fine with me though because this place would be an excellent place to work when we have a baby (next year) as I could work part-time. I just don't know what to ask for in terms of salary or hourly pay rate (depending on which I would be).

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!! :hugs:

3. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 18, 2008

Also, what kinds of questions should I ask about the school?

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 18, 2008

Think DAP. I would be wary of suggesting that I would teach them to identify letters. Find a good web site that describes 2's, and you will get a clear idea of what to teach.

5. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 18, 2008

What do you mean, think Dap?

6. lovemyson

lovemyson Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

In the school where I work, twos are mostly getting started, so it´s learning to socialize, to play, to share, to not hit, to not bite, etc. They teach the colors, to count to 5, stuff like that. They teach by themes, like farm animals, recognizing the different animals, transportation, naming the different forms of transportation, etc. I don´t work with twos but that´s what i´ve seen, i´m sure there´s more. But definitely not the letters! Try to do a search online on twos. I think dap is Developmentally appropriate? I don´t know. good luck. :)

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 19, 2008

DAP is developmentally appropriate practice. It means teaching to the developmental stage of the child. Children develop at different rates, so all of them are not ready at the same time. While you may find an advanced 2 year old once in a while, most of them are not ready for letter recognition.

DAP and Piaget go well together.