Interviewing for my Dream Job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by OhThePlaces, Feb 7, 2012.

1. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Feb 7, 2012

We're moving "home" to Florida next week after three years in Virginia. I've been checking the district's vacancy list online and my dream job was posted last Friday. It's a part-time kindergarten position. We don't have half-day kindergarten, so I'm assuming it's a job share where one teacher works 3 days a week and the other works 2. We have a 2.75 year old and a 13 month old and I've been a SAHM for the last three years. Although I'm getting the itch to go back to work, it's also hard to imagine being away from them so much. This would be the perfect situation for our family.

I faxed a cover letter and resume to the school right away and the secretary called me yesterday requesting an interview! Apparently the principal is out on sick leave and coming in on Wednesday to conduct the interviews, so there was no pushing it back. After some thought, I decided that I couldn't pass up the opportunity. My husband is out to sea (Navy) so I packed up our two toddlers and two family dogs and began the 14 hour journey down to Florida yesterday! Thankfully my parents live in Florida (three hours away) so my mom will watch the kids during the interview. Then immediately after I'm finished, we're jumping back in the car and driving back up to Virginia because we need to be at the house to meet the packers on Thursday morning! Then, we'll be heading right back down to Florida for good on Monday! Talk about a lot of driving!

I am so excited that they want to interview me, especially after my three year absence from teaching (and only two years of teaching experience out of college). I want this so badly that I'm afraid I'll be devastated if I'm not offered the job... Especially after all that I've gone through to get to the interview! I know there will probably be more experienced applicants interviewing tomorrow, but I'm hoping that I can convey all of the qualities that would make me an excellent choice.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. If I don't get it, then there must be another position out there meant for me. If nothing else, this will provide interview experience (I've only had one other teaching interview... the position I was offered right out of college).

Sorry this is so long... I just had to get it all out there. Wish me luck! :love:

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 7, 2012

Good luck!! :) That sounds like an amazing opportunity for you! :)

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2012

Wow! That is a lot of driving. Good luck!

Some tips:
    research the school and the district, it's mission statement, philosophy, etc.

write up a list of good questions that you wish to ask. I found that all of the jobs I was offered was when I did my homework and came up with a good list of questions to ask them. I even ask during the interview portion too, not afterwards. I go in with the mentality that I'm interviewing them too, because, after all, I don't want to be miserable.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2012

Wow, congrats! Good luck! Anyway to ask your mom to watch the little ones for the weekend so that they don't have to make the trip two more times?

6. springmac

springmac Companion

Feb 7, 2012

From a fellow Florida teacher---good luck! What part of Florida?

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2012

Best wishes!
    Also, I'm no expert here but it might be a good idea to save your travel receipts since they may be tax deductible expenses related to your job search. At least you'll have them later if you need them.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2012

I hope your interview went well!

9. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Feb 8, 2012

I hope everything went well.

Congratulations on the interview either way!!!

10. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Feb 9, 2012

Thanks so much everyone! We just got back to VA (it's 1:35 am).

Unfortunately both of my parents work full time, so they weren't able to babysit my children for the weekend. They were absolute angels for the trip though.

The interview was interesting... it was all of 10 minutes long!! I couldn't believe it! It was with the principal and the teacher I would be sharing a class with. They were both extremely friendly, said that my resume was impressive, they could see that I have a lot of experience with younger grades, they were happy that I have an ESOL endorsement, etc. I had all of these talking points planned out in my head and I didn't have a chance to say any of it! The teacher asked me a couple of quick questions (How flexible am I? Do I have experience teaching diverse students?) and then the principal asked me a few non-teaching questions (Where do I live? Am I flexible with the hours that I work? When would I be available to start?) and that was it! I wasn't even asked if I had questions at the end! He asked if the phone number on my resume was a cell phone number where I can be reached (because I'm moving this weekend) and I said yes, so he circled it. I said that I hoped to see them both very soon and the teacher said, "Me too."

I am just dumbfounded. His desk was covered in resumes (and this is the only position they have available) and when I was waiting to be seen, I could overhear the secretary calling other applicants to schedule additional interviews for tomorrow.

My hopes aren't high, but I'm glad that I did it. At least I won't have to wonder what could have been. :)

11. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Feb 9, 2012

Springmac, it's Jacksonville.

Peachyness, I did my homework on the school, but didn't have the opportunity to talk about anything!

12. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Feb 9, 2012

I heard something the other day that really resonates with me during these very difficult times:

"You miss 100% of the opportunities you never try."

You can rest assured you tried. GOOD LUCK!!!

13. AFine

AFine Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

Good luck and keep us updated!

14. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Feb 12, 2012

Thank you! I should hear tomorrow either way.

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I would be disappointed because no one wants to feel rejected. I also did like the school and neighborhood. On the other hand, it turns out that it's not as much of my "dream job" as I thought. Although it's technically part-time, instead of being half-days like I thought, I'd actually still be teaching for most of the day and would need full-day childcare for my two little ones, even though I'd be getting less pay.

It will be good to have closure... I'll let you know tomorrow!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2012

Good luck! I hope it all works out. What a long way to go for just a 10-minute interview.

16. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Feb 13, 2012

I hope it works out for you.

17. sweaterweather

sweaterweather Rookie

Feb 24, 2012

Well, I am dying to know! Did you get it? :)