Interviewing for Kindergarten position tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Lindzee82, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Hi Everyone!

I just found out that I have a 2nd interview with the Superintendent tomorrow morning (this, after I was already told I did not get the job...but whatever). I am very nervous as this is my dream position.

One my first interview, there were some questions that tripped me up. I am hoping that some of you experienced teachers may be able to help me out.

1. If I were to walk into your classroom in September, what would I see?
    2. If I were to walk into your classroom in June, what would I see?
    3. What is the best method of discipline for kindergarten students if they are disrupting a morning meeting or read aloud?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

1. If I were to walk into your classroom in September, what would I see? You would see me working with the whole group over rules, rules and more rules. I would be having guided study on how to the materials in the classroom. We would be starting letter recognition, and start learning how to sit and listen to read alouds.

2. If I were to walk into your classroom in June, what would I see? In June the majority of my class would be working independently in small groups, while I worked with a guided reading group. The students would hopefully be on task.

3. What is the best method of discipline for kindergarten students if they are disrupting a morning meeting or read aloud? I have found the best method is to make sure the go over the rules a lot at the start of the school year. If a student needs extra guidance I would have him sit closer to me. If he still continues to disrupt the group, I would move him to his table and tell him he could join us when he was ready to listen, and participate. If he is a constant disruption, I would try some behavior modification with him. Some sort of reward system. If all else fails I would ask some one for advice.

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

1. For the September question, you want to talk about how you and your students are working to establish rules and routines. It is critical to establish rules and procedure early so that you can get control and are able to teach effectively. If rules and control are not established within the first few weeks, they never will be. Discuss how its important to model the behavior you want over and over and practice many times (walking in hall, lining up, working at stations, getting/putting up supplies, correct way to sit on the floor. ) Every little thing you want the students to do will need to be established at this time. I'm assuming thats the type of answer they are looking for on that question.

2. For June you would probably want to say that your students are able to work independently on activities, able to cooperatively work at stations/centers, participate appropriately during large group lessons, know the rules and procedures of the school. As far as academically you may want to touch on how your students will have a appreciation for books, be able to write simple sentences using basic sight words and phonetic spelling, have learned beginning reading strategies from Guided Reading Groups (assuming the school does Guided Reading) and are reading or beginning to read, etc.

3. As far as the discipline question, when I have students who are disruptive, I will first get their attention by giving them "the teacher stare". If you are able to get their attention by just looking at them, usually you can continue to read. Most students will sense you looking at them and stop the behavior. If you can't get their attention, I would say something like "Billy, please stop that behavior." If they behavior continues I would ask the student to go put a ticket in their pocket and go to time out. This is where procedures come in. Students will know what is expected of them and where they need to go for time out. In most cases you should be able to correct disruptive behavior and continue to teach, however, there will be serious discipline problems (seems these days there are at least 2 kids per class!!!) where this won't work and you will have to stop teaching to deal with the behavior.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!

5. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Jaime - Thank you so much! Your response was very helpful.

TXTCHR29 - Thank you very much! Your response was very helpful, as well. Thank you for the detailed descriptions. This will help so much while I work on preparing tonight.

6. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 3, 2007

I got the job!!!!!!

Thanks so much for your help!!!

7. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 3, 2007

Congratulations!!! I am a new kinder teacher as well!!

8. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 3, 2007

Thank you! Congrats to you!!!

9. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 3, 2007

Congrats to you! Kinder is a GREAT place to be!!

I would add a footnote to the great suggestions given above...as far as what you might do with someone being disruptive, the positive discipline approach would be to first compliment those surrounding the "offender" with affirmative comments: "Elijah, I like how you're sitting criss-cross and listening!" or "Caitlyn, that's a great way to listen!"

It is SO funny to do this and watch the entire classroom immediately check their "criss-cross" status, sit up straighter, and look you in the eyes! It is often the only thing I have to do for a long period of time! (And it comes across as "positive," not "disciplinary," but with equal or better results!)

10. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 3, 2007

Oooh, great idea! Thanks so much!

11. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

CONGRATS!!!!

12. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

sooo true, I didn't even think of this in my advice!!!

13. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 3, 2007

Congratulations!! You'll love kindergarten. Such a fun place to be!:D