Interviewing for a Teaching Agency

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HOPE-fulTeacher, Aug 15, 2010.

1. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

Hello everyone!

This is my first actual post, although I have enjoyed reading all of the "job seekers" posts, as I am in the same boat.

I am getting ready for my first interview tomorrow (yay!) after filling out applications and sending out resumes to dozens of school districts without any luck. It is with Southern Teachers Agency (STA), so it's technically not for a job, but it's to join their agency and have them recommend me to schools. Has anyone interviewed with them before? Are the questions any different since I am not interviewing to teach at a particular school or district? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

3. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I have never heard of this agency( I live in the northeast). Is it free? Are is recruitment or does it mean you don't have to interview at other schools, just one interview? I think my last question is wishful thinking. I hate going on interviews and wish that I could just record myself and send in a video haha. They ask the same stuff any way!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 15, 2010

I signed up for a teacher agency but I didn't need an interview. Thanks for reminding me that I need to call my "contact" to update her on my certifications and see if she has anything for me.
    Good luck!

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

Rockangel312: Yes, it's free to candidates- the schools are the ones that pay the agency for recruiting for them. I think that I will still have to interview at other schools, but I'm hoping that I will have a better chance of getting hired because I will have been recommended by this agency...although I would also love it if this were the only interview! haha

TeacherNY: What agency are you going through? As I am nervously preparing for tomorrow, the idea of an agency without an interview is definitely appealing!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 15, 2010

Well, the unappealing part is that if they help you get a job, you have to pay them. I dont' know if that is true with your agency. I think the name is NyTeacherJobs. I'd have to look it up. If anyone in NY is reading this and wants to know I can find the website.

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

Best of luck to you. I would assume they would just ask you basic pre-screening interview questions such as tell me about yourself, and different situtional questions to see if you would be a good fit at different schools based on what they are looking for.

8. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

TeacherNY- I would love to see that website if you can find it!

9. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Aug 16, 2010

Does anyone know if NJ has one of these?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 16, 2010

Sure. I'll go look for it.

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

One of my acquaintances was telling me about it but I don't remember the name...it kind of sounded a little scammy to me...I don't think it would be for public schools or any private schools that you would want to work out....but I didnt investigate so I dont know for sure...did you have any luck TeacherNY?

12. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

I believe the school pays the agency, at least in the case of Southern Teachers Agency. I have heard of them before, and they do have a reputable enough name to be considering candidates for private schools. It will be harder if you aren't willing to consider boarding schools or if you are going for pay that is too high.