Interviewing for a 5th Grade Teaching Position on Monday...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MsMaggs, Sep 21, 2007.

1. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Sep 21, 2007

Hello Everyone,
    I just came across these forums and have been addicted ever since. There is so much valuable information in here! I thought this would be a good place to get some advice!
    I'm a little more than halfway through my credential program and I was contacted about an internship for a 5th Grade teaching position.
    Someone from my credential program recommended me and the school's superintendent/principal called me on Wednesday to schedule an interview for Monday. She said the teacher they have now has to move within two weeks because of a family emergency, so they need a new teacher immediately. She said she was interested in having an intern rather than a fully credentialed teacher who had already been passed over this year, so it seems like I may even have a chance at the position! Yay! (This would be awesome because it would take the place of my student teaching requirement (saving me $$$) and I would be getting paid!)
    Everything about the position sounds ideal for a beginning teacher. It's a small school with a small class size, only 14 students, it's such a great opportunity for being involved in a nice school community! I am so excited and nervous about this opportunity.
    Does anyone have any advice on things that may come up in the interview? Also, what are some of the best and worst things about the curriculum in 5th grade, in your own opinion? Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks! :love:

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 22, 2007

Every curriculm is different along with resources available, so you will have to judge that for yourself. Basics you can likely count on may include fractions, decimals, long division, American history, parts of speech, writing process, something about the human body, plants or some other life science, rocks or some other earth science, solar system.

Things you may be asked in the interview
    1) How would you work with a class with students at many different ability levels?
    2) Do you feel that reading is best taught with ability based groups, heterogeneous groups (different abilities in mixed groups),
    or as whole class instruction?
    3) What is your classroom management style?
    4) How would you handle a situation in which an angry parent confronted you about his/her child's grade or behavior?

These are just some of the questions that may come up. Be prepared for some sort of classroom management question. These always show up in some form or other. You may also be asked about your philosophy of teaching, how you might handle different hypothetical situations, etc. Just remember to relax, be honest, and put yourself forward.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2007

runw/scissors brings up most of the questions I was going to suggest. If your state tests in 5th grade like TX does, then they might ask you how you would prepare your students for that test. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 22, 2007

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 22, 2007

Good luck!!! I like the curriculum. A lot is determined by whether or not you will be given a mandated reading program. We use Open Court and must follow the pacing of it. There are predetermined unit themes that shape the instruction you give for six weeks at a time. For example, our 4th reading unit is Civil War. The pacing causes it to fall at the same time we are teaching American Revolution. That was a big challenge last year. All in all, I think the 5th grade curriculum is fun and interesting. The age group is wonderful! Good luck!!!

7. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Sep 22, 2007

There is always a managment question. There is almost always a "what would you do if..." question to go along with it.

There is usually...
    a "what is you teaching philosophy?" question
    a question about reading and writing issues
    a question about different learning levels in one class
    What is "your ideal classroom"
    What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Things to think about...
    *Be ready for hypotheticals. "what if... ...happened"
    *Tell the truth they will find out if you dont.
    *If you dont know an answer DO NOT LIE. Remember, If they are asking the question they know the answer.
    *Talk about technology, if you know how to use it in a classroom MAKE SURE you share that information in your answers.
    *Do not be "shy" teachers are supposed to talk so you should do the same at the interview. A quiet interview = a quiet teacher!
    *Do not volunteer ANY negatives about yourself!!! if they ask, ok, but do not volunteer it. We had a teacher interview for a job and without being asked she told us she was let go from her last job for argueing with her principal over an extremly stupid issue that she was clearly wrong about (she still thought she was right)!!!! WHY, tell us that????? We didnt ask? The principal didnt say anything bad about her at all, but now we had to wonder how she could let such a small issue end a job?

Good luck!!!

Just be yourself, remember these interviewers asked you to come in you didnt even apply. That means they want you already! Be calm and truthful and you will be fine. :D

8. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 22, 2007

I'd also make sure that you have questions ready that you want to ask the interviewers. This shows them that you are interested in their school and want to know more about it. I remember asking a lot about what class sizes were like, what are some things they provided for new teachers (workshops, trainings, etc), what programs they used (reading, math), if they have specials (that was important to me!), and anything else you are curious about. Obviously asking a million isn't necessary, but I went in with 4 or 5, and got a lot of information to see if this was a school I would really like to work at! :)

9. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Sep 22, 2007

Thanks everyone! Everything you've mentioned seems great! I'm going to try to keep preparing myself to be able to answer all of those great questions you all have provided. I was thinking they'd be something along those lines too. Also, matchstickgirl, I really like the questions you asked about the school. Thanks everyone for sharing! Keep the ideas coming, if you can! :)

10. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Sep 24, 2007

Yay!!! I got the position! I am so excited!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2007

Congrats MsMaggs!!!

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 24, 2007

Way to go. So happy for you.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 24, 2007

Congratulations! When do you start?

14. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Sep 24, 2007

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

15. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 24, 2007

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Yay!!!!!Congrats!!!!!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 24, 2007

Huzzah, MsMaggs!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 25, 2007

You know where to come for advice if you need it in the future. WE are always here to help.

18. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Sep 25, 2007

Thanks for all of your support and feedback! I started in the classroom today. The teacher I'm replacing will be there until Friday. Monday will be my first day as THE teacher! :0)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 26, 2007

You'll do nicely, I suspect.