Interviewing at the same school for a different position

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rae85, Jul 30, 2013.

1. rae85

rae85 Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

During the first week of June, I interviewed at a school for an 8th grade teaching position. He told me that they went with another candidate that had a better "fit" for their school. (Pretty generic response). I'm a first year teacher, and I looked up the guy they hired, and he has 6 years of teaching experience. However, school starts in two weeks, and they have a 7th grade position open now. I applied, and he called for me to come in to interview for this position.

1. I already know plenty about the school since I've already interviewed there.

2. It didn't even seem like he liked me much last time, so why would he have me interview for another position?

3. What should I ask at the end of the interview? We covered a ton the first time (class sizes, extracurricular activities, technology, parent involvement, their homework help period, community involvement, demographics...)

4. How do I express that I still feel like this school is a good fit for ME (and change their mind from the first interview and that I am a good fit for them)

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

He must have liked something about you to call you back!!! What else would you like to know about the district? What about professional development? Teaming?

I would just show your enthusiasm for the position and relate the experience and skills you have and how they fit with the job. For example, I have an interest in school gardens and food literacy. The last position I applied for had a school garden, but not enough staff to maintain it. I enthusiastically replied that I would love to work on it and have my students participate in the process. I explained about workshops I have taken about food literacy and the wellness committee that I sit on at my child's school. I could see the principal was impressed with my comments. I didn't get the job--it went to their sub--but she gave me a ton of positive feedback and sent my name to the other p's.

So that type of thing. Be sure to let them know that you have the skills they need, and be sure show how much you love that aspect of teaching. They will see you as the person they want for the job. Good luck!!!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2013

Being called back is a good sign! Go in feeling confident...good luck!

5. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 30, 2013

It's definitely a good sign! Confidence will be key. :)

If you're comfortable saying this as the interview wraps up: "I was very flattered and appreciative that you called me back for this interview. I only hope that whatever good qualities you saw in me in the first interview will be of great asset to your school."

(Or something like that). :)

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 30, 2013

Point out how much you learned from your previous interviews and ask a lot of questions about anything you might possibly want to know. Ask about the curriculum, how advanced they might be in Common Core planning, etc. It might help to be as enthused and curious about the school as you can, especially now that you know at least a little about it. Good luck!

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 30, 2013

I did a LTS job for a year and then applied for a permanent position the following year at the same school. I was interviewed by the same people and answered the same questions. It was a little weird, but I took the opportunity to show what I had learned. You were interviewed a month ago - what have to done in the last month to better prepare yourself? Highlight anything you've learned/worked on in the last month.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2013

I agree that it sounds like a good sign!! Definitely follow everyone's advice. Fingers and toes crossed for you!! :)

9. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 30, 2013

Everyone above posted great advice. I'm not sure if you asked it the first time, but I'm a new teacher as well, and I always like to ask, "What support do you offer for new teachers?" I know a lot (if not all?) schools use a mentor, but I like to know if there's anything else in addition to a mentor to help provide support.

Good luck!!! My fingers are crossed for you:)

10. rae85

rae85 Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all of your wonderful advice! The principal did ask pretty much the same questions as the first time, but this time there was a different teacher in there as well who asked some different questions.

I guess it was good news that he called me back to interview for another position, because two hours later, he called me to offer me the job! I accepted on the spot, and I'm so incredibly thrilled that my long search for a job is finally finished!

My next issues is being prepared for the first day of school in less than two weeks... :)

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

Congratulations! Did you post on the jobs thread?

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2013

Congratulations!

13. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 31, 2013

Congratulations!! That is awesome:)

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

Congratulations!