Interviewing and family illness

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by suzerich, Aug 10, 2012.

1. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 10, 2012

I have been looking for a teaching position for a long time. Teachers go back to school in 2 weeks. So, far I have had one interview and correspondence with a principal regarding a possible interview if he lines up all of his coaching positions. My family has been dealing with issues on 2 fronts - Dad just had knee replacement surgery and sister has gone through 6 chemo treatments. We were pretty sure my dad would be up and walking well by now, but the past week has seen major setbacks. My sister will be scheduling major surgery that should take place ASAP. My parents live 30 minutes from me, and I have been helping them almost on a daily basis. My dad had hoped to be able to get around before my sister had to go through this. Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should continute to look, should I take my name off of the positions I've applied for, or just wait and see. I would like to be there for my sister when she has surgery, but it looks like it will be around the first of the school year. So, if by some miracle I am offered a job, I will be thick in the middle of starting a new job, start of school, in addition to all of this other stuff. The kicker is, I really need a job that supports me and my son, if the need arises. If I am granted an interview, should I mention any of this? Will it be too soon to take off to be with my sister if she needs me?

Thanks for your advice.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

When the oxygen masks come down, the instructions say that the first thing you do is put your own mask on. You can't help others if you're incapacitated.

The same principle applies here. Your first priority is to make sure that you have a job, that you can put food on the table and support yourself and your son.

You can't predict how the timing will work out. So don't do anything yet. If and when you're offered the job, you can worry about juggling all the things that need to be done.

Your family will be in my prayers.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2012

Great advice Alice. We just do the best that we can. Keep looking and prayers are being sent your way!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

Couldn't have said it better!

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2012

Yup. And if you are working, you may be able to assist in purchasing services for your loved ones (lawn care, health aide) etc. that you might not be able to afford otherwise, but could still need if you were the main caregiver.

Good luck. I know how stressful this is. When my LTS job ended last year, my father got very sick and I ended up needing to help him out quite a bit. I remember thinking that it was a good thing I wasnt working, but you know what? If I had a chance to teach and earn a full-time salary, I would have taken it and I know my family and I would have worked it out. Esp. since you have to support your son, you need to put him first. Good luck!

7. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

I totally agree with Aliceacc and Rainbowbird. You have to take care of yourself and your family first above all else. And like Rainbowbird said, with a FT Teaching job, you may be able to assist financially in ways that are helpful that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

I'm so sorry about your sister. :( May I ask what kind of cancer she has and what procedure she's having? The reason I ask is because I've unfortunately dealt with cancer myself-I lost my father to it back in 2008 and am pretty knowledgable on chemo treatments, radiation, surgery and such.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

Yeah, I have some unfortunate knowledge in that area as well. If your sister is battling breast cancer and needs someone to "talk" to, please have her PM me.

9. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 11, 2012

Thank you for all of your comments. I have several applications out there, and have also started applying for aid positions, but those will not support us. I am married, but it has been rocky for years, and I don't want to leave without a job. I just don't know when its going to go too far. My sister had cancer on both sides and a lymph node was affected on the left side. The right side and lymph nodes responded to the chemo, not the left. Recommendations are for a mastectomy on the left side, but also really recommended bilateral, for symmetry. She has a lot of decisions to make, but was told she needed to have this done ASAP. My father is very depressed because he wants to be able to help her. His knee failed on him this week and he is basically supposed to not bend it and keep it above his heart most of the day and night. So, just a really tough time for us all right now. Thank you again.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

I had a mastectomy and lost a few lymph nodes on my right side; my 4 year anniversary is coming up in a few weeks. I also had radiation, though I was fortunate enough to avoid chemo. I didn't have the bilateral but instead chose reconstruction. In clothes I look fine; it's pretty rare that I have to really deal with the unevenness that remains.

I found an amazing resource in, of all places, the Disney forum http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2833381&highlight=breast It's a group of people who have all been through breast cancer. They offered real, BTDT advice. They were an absolute life saver-- please pass the link on to your sister.

And my offer stands-- if she needs some one to talk to, I'm here.