Interviewing a teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Alanahkd, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Alanahkd

Alanahkd New Member

Mar 17, 2012

Hi my name is Alanah, I'm from NSW Australia. I am currently studying and introduction to teaching course online via correspondence because i work a full time job and for my assessment we have been told to interview a teacher. I do not have access to interview a teacher and when I have tried to organize a time to meet them, they can only do it in my working hours so I'm finding it very difficult. So I am wondering if anyone is able to help me

My task was to interview a teacher about 'duty of care' and when it has had an impact on your class/school and measures you took to ensure the requirement of a duty of care policy were met.

I need to describe two senarios In which I learnt and discuss them in relation to our duty of care Policy.

Any help you could give would be GREATLY appreciated. Please and thank you.

Regards Alanah

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 17, 2012

I wish you much luck in your classes! I'm not familiar with the topic you need to cover, but I'm sure someone will happily give you a hand since you've asked so kindly.

:welcome::atoz_love:

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2012

What does 'duty of care' mean? It must be called something different in the US.

5. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Mar 17, 2012

I have no idea what you are talking about.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 17, 2012

t:
    :yeahthat:

7. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 17, 2012

Sorry, I think you might need to find an Australian teacher. I think I've seen one or two on here, but who knows if they'll see this. Can you maybe ask teachers if they'd be willing to do an interview over the phone? Perhaps you could take a few minutes away from work or do that over your lunch break. I also work and go to school, and unfortunately sometimes it's necessary for me to take a day off and go observe or whatever I need to do for assignments. If you're planning on being a teacher, this might be something you'll have to work out with your employer as it will come up again and again.

8. Alanahkd

Alanahkd New Member

Mar 18, 2012

Duty of care is..

Teaching staff owe a duty to take reasonable care for the safety and welfare of students whilst students are involved in school activities or are present for the purposes of a school activity. The duty is to take such measures as are reasonable in all the circumstances to protect students from risks of harm that reasonably ought to be foreseen. This requires not only protection from known hazards, but also protection from harm that could foreseeably arise and against which preventative measures can be taken.

It must be an Australian thing, the Australian government like to be difficult and hard to understand, if you haven't heard of it never mind and thank you for your help :)

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Mar 18, 2012

So...like considering the physical and emotional safety of students while planning a lesson? My college professors used to require us to include in our lesson plans the steps we would take to ensure the physical and emotional safety of our students during the lesson.

Or, every teacher in my building has a working flashlight ready to use at a moment's notice because the lights have gone out several times over the past few years....?

Or being sure there is a safe ratio of adults to students while on field trips? Also, we had several diabetic students with us on a field trip last year, so we took the nurse with us just in case...

10. Alanahkd

Alanahkd New Member

Mar 18, 2012

Yes this is exactly the kind of examples I need. Thank you very much !

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2012

It is child protection

12. Alanahkd

Alanahkd New Member

Mar 19, 2012

Yes that's what I'm looking for.. Examples of child protection