Interviewed today - find out Monday...!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by frogger, Jun 27, 2008.

1. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 27, 2008

Here's the situation - I got a call from the P yesterday afternoon, she asked if I was still available to be hired - uh yeah! :) and she asked if I could come in Friday for the interview. I said yes and made it for this morning. It was a good interview, I knew a lot about the programs that are in the place and she gave me a short tour of the school - they were cleaning. I asked questions too. At the end she said she would make a decision by Monday and would call either way.
    So now I have a thank you email/letter to send to her since it will not get to her by Monday in time for to make a difference in her decision.:unsure:

So here's my thank you letter/email - I would welcome ANY suggestions especially with word choice and arrangements - I've done so many of these that I don't know if I am doing right or wrong! :confused:

Here it goes:

June 27, 2008

Dear Mrs. "P";

I appreciated the opportunity to be interviewed by you for the Fifth grade teacher position at W Elementary. The things I learned from our conversation and from my own research on your school’s website confirmed my desire to join your faculty. Our goals and priorities seem to be a perfect match.

The 5th grade position matches my teaching skills and interests. In addition to my motivation, flexibility, and enthusiasm, I would be able to contribute my strong collaboration skills. The high expectations that you place on yourself, the staff, and the students is the same high expectations that I also have for myself in any school environment. I look forward to professional development and resources available to make me a better, more effective and knowledge teacher for my students.

Thank you again for the interview and allowing me the experience of learning more about your school. I would welcome the opportunity to work for W Elementary School. I think that I would make a great fit to the school and to the 5th grade team. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you regarding this position.
    Sincerely,

3. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

I am no expert by any means, and I'm sure that STG or someone else will give you a better idea of how you are doing. I think in the beginning you should say I appreciate instead of I appreciated. Because you still appreciate the opportunity, correct? Also the last paragraph seems kind of redundant.

Thank you again for the interview and allowing me the experience of learning more about your school. I would welcome the opportunity to work for W Elementary School. I think that I would make a great fit to the school and to the 5th grade team. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you regarding this position.

Maybe you could combine I would welcome the opportunity to work for El School and you?

That's all I have to offer! GOOOD Luck! I hope that you get the job!!

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 27, 2008

Good luck!

5. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jun 27, 2008

re: Interview and THANK YOU

Nicely done... I made a couple of changes for you and/or suggestions. :) Hope you don't mind. As for getting this to her ASAP, I would drop it off personally later today. Make sure that you use your best handwriting and that everything is spelled correctly. I know that sounds so "elementary" but you would be surprised at notes that I have seen that have come in to our principal.

June 27, 2008

Dear Mrs. "P";

I appreciated the opportunity to be interviewed by you for the Fifth grade teacher position at W Elementary. The things-- could you use a different word here?? information? philosophies? principles? I learned from-- perhaps the word during our conversation and from my own- delete research on your school’s website confirmed my desire to join your faculty. Might you add here an example of something you two discussed so s/he knows that you prepared this Thank You after the interview and that it isn't a "form" thank you. I love adding the personal touch. Our goals and priorities seem to be a perfect match--perhaps change to "align perfectly".

The 5th grade position matches my teaching skills and interests. In addition to my motivation, flexibility, and enthusiasm, I would be able to contribute my strong collaboration skills. The high expectations that you place on yourself, the staff, and the students is-are the same high expectations that I also have for myself in any school environment. I look forward to professional development and resources available to make me a better, more effective and knowledgeable teacher for my students.

Thank you again for the interview and allowing me the experience of learning more about your school. I would welcome the opportunity to work for W Elementary School. I think that I would make a great fit to the school and to the 5th grade team. I am very interested in working for you and-- I would remove this because you just told him/her that you were interested in the 2nd sentence of this paragraph look forward to hearing from you regarding this position.
    Sincerely,

Laura Tolsma

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 27, 2008

Thanks everyone! I am using everyone's suggestions to fill out my letter and make it better!

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2008

All of my suggestions have pretty much been covered, but I wanted to wish you luck!

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 27, 2008

Best of luck! Can you email the letter as well as snail mail it?

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2008

Good luck!

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 27, 2008

Yeah I was thinking of emailing it since she was going to make the decision on Monday and I don't know if she will receive the snail mail on Monday. Should I send the same copy via snail mail as well still?

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 27, 2008

I would say yes. It's amazing how fast mail can be delivered. Also, have you thought of sending it priority mail? Not necessary, only a suggestion.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2008

I would. She might say Monday, but we all know it often takes longer. And since they have probably done mail pickup in your area, I would take the notes to the post office. The post office workers generally stay later to sort mail, so the P might get your letter sooner than if you just drop it in a box.

13. colie

colie Companion

Jun 27, 2008

Good Luck!!!

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 27, 2008

Thanks - now the million dollar question is should I email it today or wait a day? I have the hard copy ready to snail mail it out today and am about to go do that. :)

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 27, 2008

E-Mail today! :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2008

For what it's worth, if she said that the timeline was that tight, I'd go ahead and email it. Good luck!

17. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 27, 2008

Today! Today! Today!

18. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 27, 2008

I emailed it! :)

Now the wait over the weekend and into Monday!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2008

Good luck!

20. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

June 27, 2008

Dear Mrs. "P";

I appreciated the opportunity to be interviewed by you for the Fifth grade teacher (I would take out teacher and just use fifth grade position) position at W Elementary. The things I learned from our conversation and from my own research on your school’s website confirmed my desire to join your faculty. Our goals and priorities seem to be a perfect match.

The 5th grade position matches my teaching skills and interests. In addition to my motivation, flexibility, and enthusiasm, I would be able to contribute my strong collaboration skills. The high expectations that you place on yourself, the staff, and the students is (are) the same high expectations that I also have for myself in any school environment. I look forward to professional development and resources available (switch words - available resources) to make me a better,(I would take out "better,") more effective and knowledge (knowledgeable) teacher for my students.

Thank you again for the interview and allowing me the experience of learning more about your school. I would welcome the opportunity to work for W Elementary School. I think that I would make (be) a great fit to the school and (as well as) to (delete "to") the 5th grade team. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you regarding this position.
    Sincerely,[/QUOTE]

Just a few grammatical suggestions. :) Best of luck with the job! The P really seemed to show an interest in you based on your post!

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2008

good luck!!!!

22. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 30, 2008

Well....I did what I could - emailed it on Friday and sent a hard copy on Friday (took it to the post office) and here I wait and I haven't heard a thing from the P. :whistle: Today was the day she was going to call either way but haven't heard anything and I think they are gone for the day due to summer hours. :(

23. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jun 30, 2008

Give her a call later this afternoon or right away in the morning... good luck!

24. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 30, 2008

Yes, defintely call today or first thing in a.m.... Good Luck!

25. smalltowngal

Jun 30, 2008

I would call in the morning!

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2008

I'd call tomorrow morning, definitely. Good luck! :)

27. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

Here's what I got:

It was a pleasure to interview you. You seem very knowledgeable and committed to your profession.
    We have offered the position to another candidate however. We do wish you the best in your endeavors.
    Best Wishes,

P

28. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

I'm sorry frogger, hopefully this just means that there's a better position out there for you.

29. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 1, 2008

I am so sorry, Frogger. :(

30. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

I am so sorry Frogger - anything else in the works??

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

sorry frogger...

will somebody please explain to me why everyone keeps saying...

"Best of luck in your future endeavors, " like we are about to go sky diving or something!

We don't have jobs! What "endeavors" can we possibly have? :confused:

I am endeavoring to find a job!

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

I'm sorry Frogger. :( :hugs:

33. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

There were some more postings in a district near by that I applied to yesterday. I look everyday! :)

34. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jul 1, 2008

Aww, sorry :( Hugs

35. smalltowngal

Jul 1, 2008

I am sorry to hear that, frogger. :hugs:

36. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

Keep on looking - it's only July!! Stay positive and confident. Good things will come your way

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

I got email from charter schools. anyone else apply to one of these? Is this an option for you frogger??

38. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 1, 2008

Dang! Let's both keep looking! There has to be jobs out there for both of us!

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2008

Plug, plug away. It's all we overeducated, underemployed can do. Sorry this one wasn't the right one, but who knows what's next for you.

40. ready2teachintx

Jul 1, 2008

Keep looking EVERY DAY. Go online and see what new postings are out there and then just email and attach your resume to the P or AP or both. Don't give up!! Be persistant. It will pay off. I have tried to get into the district by my house for 1 1/2 years...finally I got that break. I checked the postings daily. Head up...be strong. That job was not meant to be.

41. ready2teachintx

Jul 1, 2008

Next thank you card advice... Send it by email and keep it short and sweet. Your's was really nice but too wordy. I would just say thanks for the opportunity. It was a pleasure meeting you. I am excited about the possibility of being a part of your staff. I feel that district A is the perfect place for me to be a part of. This is exactly what I sent by email to the P, AP and counselor that interviewed me. I think that they get so many applicants that the short and sweet version may be simplified and to the point.