Interview

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by To Teach, Aug 17, 2006.

1. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Hi All,

I am happy to say that I have a job interview for a sixth grade teaching position. I am looking for some words of encouragement and any suggestions to help prepare me for this interview. I am open to anything. I need a teaching job just like everybody else that is looking for one. I have a portfolio that I have updated and trying to keep current as best I can. I have gone to the web site of the school and checked it out. I thought that might be best to do to see if there was any useful information I might be able to use in answering their questions and to become familiar with their curriculum.
    I have read some of the postings by other people about their job search and suggestions and I KNOW where you are coming from and I am praying for all of us looking for a job.

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 17, 2006

4. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Thanks Elizabeth 1977,
    I printed up both articles and I will read them and let you know what happens.

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 17, 2006

No problem! ;)

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2006

In PA, 6th grade will be participating in PSSA tests for the first time this year. Last year they took them but it was only practice. You will want to emphasize how you might help them prepare. You will want to compare the standards being tested to your curriculum and make sure you teach those before the test. Good luck! I just landed a 6th grade job in PA this year so you can do it! They have to hire someone so it may as well be you.

7. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 18, 2006

maryhf-thanks for your words of wisdom. i am interviewing for a 3rd grade position next week, and think i can adapt much of what you said to several questions (3rd tests in read. + math here). thanks for being so helpful! :) -meri

8. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

Maryhf,
    Thanks for your words of wisdom. I had a teaching position in Philadelphia and I taught sixth grade. We gave the Terra Novas and the last year I was there, they changed the curriculum. Every ten weeks we gave the students a pre-(terra nova)test based on the ten week period. The results for my class showed that they were learning and I was teaching. They also did well on their Terra Novas, which says alot. I plan to mention this to them in my interview.

To Merigold78,
    Good luck and I will say a prayer for you. I am sure you will do well in your interview.

9. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Interview Update.
    I had the interview today and it went well (at least I felt that it went well, you never know what they interviewers are thinking). They asked the usual questions and I thought I answered them correctly and in a positive way. NOW the waiting game starts. They said they would let the lucky candidates know by Wed afternoon by phone and the unlucky ones by mail. Either way, I will find out by getting a call or not getting a call. I did my best and that is all one can do, that and pray.
    I was interviewed by the principal and one of the assistant principals. Both seem very nice. I looked the both in the eyes when answering the questions. I started by looking at the person who asked the question then looked at the other to include them in my response.
    Thank you for listening and letting me sound off.

10. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 21, 2006

to teach-i am keeping my fingers crossed for you! thanks for thinking about me too. :) i too feel like my interview went really well...maybe we'll both have new jobs by wed. (that's when i'm supposed to find out too!)! anyhoo, try and stay as busy as possible between now and wed.-that is my plan so i don't sit around obsessing over whether or not i got it. then when the phone rings on wed. be ready to say, "yes, i would love to teach at your school next year!" i am so excited for both of us! keep us posted!

-meri

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2006

It sounds as though it went really well!

We'll keep our fingers crossed!

12. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Meri & Alicea
    Trust me I will keep busy, very busy. We are selling our house and trying to do some work at the same time plus I have my part-time job as well.
    Thank you for all you kind thoughts and I too will keep my fingers crossed for all of us as well as saying extra prays.
    Charlie

13. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 26, 2006

Well as I suspected, when ever I feel the interview went fine I am never the lucky candidate hired. Oh well, life is to short to dwell on the negative! I am going to continue to look for a job while I sub this coming year. Good luck to all of you and hope to hear from you through out the year.
    Charlie

14. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 27, 2006

charlie-so sorry you didn't get it. :( i too felt like i had a strong inter. last week (the prin. even told me this), but didn't get the job. good luck w/subbing....something great will eventually come your way, i just know it! :) take care! -meri

15. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 27, 2006

Meri,
    It is very frustrating when things go so well and you don't get the job. Well thank you for thinking about me and I wish you the best. We will have to keep in touch.
    Charlie