Interview

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, May 10, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 10, 2011

So, as some of you may know, I would like to move to first grade next year. Rather than just moving me to first grade, my principal in conducting interviews next week. Six people are being interviewed, including myself. The interviews are 1 hour long, followed by a 15 minute literacy lesson, where I will be teaching one of the first grade classes. (Personally, I think this is rather silly, since my principal has observed me teacher many times in the past 3 years!)

Anyway, he is going to be looking for how I interact with the kids. I am thinking of doing a read-aloud, focusing on a CAFE strategy from the comprehension category, since read-alouds are such a great way to connect and interact with kids. I could maybe tie in a quick smartboard activity, too. However, I am worried that, because I am used to kindergarten, I will make the lesson too simple/easy. I was thinking making inferences would be a good topic, since children at older grades still struggle with this concept.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

I think that for 15 minutes a read aloud on making inferences sounds great!

4. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 10, 2011

I agree with you. I think it is silly. How many 1st Grade Positions are their at the school?

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 10, 2011

There are 3 first-grade classes at my school. It is very rare for a position to be open in my district (I think there are 3 elementary positions in the entire district this year), so this might be my only opportunity to move anytime in the near future.

I guess they want all interviews to be the same, regardless of where the person being interviewed is coming from. Oh, well! ;)

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 12, 2011

Sounds like a good plan DP! :thumb: Good luck.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 15, 2011

Inferences is good. I was on an interview committee last year and one lady did some things VERY well (we hired her)... she did a read aloud, but she sat on the floor with the students... afterwards, she had cards with pictures only and they sequenced the story as a class. Then they retold the story as a class. That was basically it, it was short, sweet, and well done. I can't remember the book she used, but you could use a fairy tale, or really any picture book.