Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, May 16, 2010.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 16, 2010

I have an interview tomorrow morning. I don't have personal days left so I was going to call in sick. I hate lying that I'm sick but I can't go a day without pay...anyway, I think I willed myself to get sick because I am. I've called in and even had to talk to the P (who does that)....I'm still going to my interview. Problem is what if they call to check my references at the school? I feel like now I've got myself stuck....I had a teacher friend say I shouldn't lie because if the interviewing school catches wind of it they won't like it. They also did not have ANY afterschool appointments so what did they think people were going to have to do? I've already called in. I didn't lie because I am sick....but I am going in for an interview. What do I do? I am non-renewed

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 16, 2010

:hugs:You need to go! And I wish you luck. You need to think of yourself at this point. Go in confident and enjoy your day off without guilt.

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 16, 2010

Thank you...that is what another teacher friend said as well. I just pray they don't call for a recommendation from the P and if they do, I hope they don't mention when they interviewed me. LOL! I do only have two weeks left of school!

5. DFWbound

DFWbound Rookie

May 16, 2010

I agree!

I had to do the same thing....however, when I went in, I told the principal I had to take a sick day. All she could say was that they were so grateful I was willing to make the drive and take the time.

They understand that you have a job and therefore, they also understand that you have to do whats necessary to interview. If they love you, then in the end it won't matter.

I have to agree though, there is a fear there. I dealt with as well. But YOU have to do what is best for YOU! Know that you are doing the right thing!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 16, 2010

And NOW you have a job. Let's hope you can send the good luck to others. In retrospect, you are going to a far better place where you wanted to be! Isn't life grand???!!!!:haha:

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 16, 2010

Thanks, DFW, I do feel a little better about what I am doing. I also feel a little bit better because I am sick! That sounds odd, doesn't it....but I don't feel like I'm lying at this point. So I should tell the P that I am interviewing with that I had to call in sick? I mean he knows who I am because he asked another teacher who works at my school about me. They also make it difficult for teachers to apply to their school since they do not offer after school interviews.

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 16, 2010

I agree with what everyone else mentioned - to just go for it, basically. I hope you start to feel better and good luck tomorrow!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 17, 2010

I have done it before and will do it again. I just call out and say I had a last minute appointment I had to go to. That's not really lying!

10. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 17, 2010

Well now I'm grappling with mentioning it to the interviewing school so they know not to call (should they really like me) to talk to my P. Thanks, Everyone!

11. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 17, 2010

I'm back from my interview. It didn't come up how I took off of work to come to the interview and I didn't mention it. He said that he was finishing up preliminary interviews this week then they'd be doing call backs and hopefully would have someone named before the end of school (that's next week). I pray that if I'm called back they'd schedule after school appointments so I don't have to take another day off. My P was not too kind about me taking today off (I've never called in before).

Anyway, I don't have a feeling either way about it. I know I answered the questions to the best of my ability and shared stories relating the question and my response.

We'll see.

12. mistah

mistah Rookie

May 17, 2010

Sounds like you did well...What ever happened with the last interview you had?
    Don't worry so much about your P...she sounds like she has some serious issues...I know you're kind of relying on her, but you don't need her to get a job...I don't understand her AT ALL....she doesn't want you back even tho it's obvious you care about your kids and didn't give up on them...they did well...and you've never missed a day....I hate to say it but it's possible you rubbed her the wrong way or something b/c she seems beyond unprofessional...prolly good you're not working there anymore!

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 17, 2010

I hope I did well....The last interview, well, I never heard back so I guess they found someone that is a good fit for them. That's ok....Hopefully I'll get a job where I am a good fit. I think I did somehow, someway "rub my P the wrong way." Don't know how but whatever....I was just telling someone the other day that when I moved here I didn't know anyone or really anything about the schools. I took the job at the school and maybe that was my stepping stone into County schools, which is where I want to be. I've had P's call teachers at my school asking about me so that is good! Thanks for the uplifting words

14. mistah

mistah Rookie

May 17, 2010

It's really good...unless she is not putting in a good word. What was your relationship like with your P? I'm trying to put the pieces together b/c that's the kind of person I am...and I simply can't comprehed how it got to this. What is the diff. b/w county schools and city schools? BTW- why did you move from Fla to TN? Were u specifically looking at the Nashville area, or....?

15. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 17, 2010

I'm postive that the teachers are putting in a good word for me. They were shocked I was non renewed. My relationship with my P is ok, I guess...According to the AP, the P and AP both like me "as a person." LOL! That just means that they think I stink as a teacher. I don't know why the P doesn't like me, she just doesn't....I do think it got back to her that I don't believe my students are gifted or high achieving. I don't believe they are....tests may show that two students are gifted but the rest are not high achieving. Maybe for this school they are but not for outside of this school. I think that made her mad. My daughter was in a gifted/high achieving class in FL so I know what it is like to be with those kids....Beyond that, I don't know why she doesn't like me and this point I don't care. I just hope she gives me a good letter of recommendation next week. :)

I moved from FL to TN because my husband took a job here. I looked specifically in this Nashville area because of county we chose to live in. The difference between county and city schools is the districts....county pays slightly less and is a larger district (elementary school through high school) and city pays slightly more but insurance costs more and is smaller (only elementary). My county seems to be practically the only one hiring.

16. mistah

mistah Rookie

May 18, 2010

Yeah...I probably wouldn't throw around the gifted/talented term...I HATE that term as it is...I think all students are gifted... it just depends on what they're gifted in....they're not all "high achieving" but that's nothing a highly motivated teacher can't help....unless of course they are LD, but we can still move LD kids for sure....I appreciate your honesty, though...that may be the reason but who knows...either way, you're a freakin first year teacher...I can't believe she would play you like that....I may talk with HR if I were you...but on second thought...I would probably wait until you see what her letter of rec. says...and obv. read through the lines as much as possible...good luck with all that!

17. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 19, 2010

Thing is, I learned from being at my current school and for that I am grateful. I am grateful that the P gave the opportunity to teach this year and thus gain experience. I have met great people at my school. This may be just my stepping stone to go where I will get the opportunity to shine as a teacher, continue to grow and learn, and meet even more fabulous people. :)

BTW, Mistah, your two week prediction that my name would be added to 2010-2011 job list is almost up (if not already up). :p

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 20, 2010

Hope you hear something today. You have a positive attitude and KNOW that you did a great job this year. That is the best we can do!

19. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 20, 2010

I hope I hear something today too. I really need some good news.....With the end of the year coming, I'm feeling pretty low....seeing everyone plan for next year, etc is hard. And I LOVE my team...we work so well together and we're such good friends, it hurts to leave them!

20. mistah

mistah Rookie

May 20, 2010

Yeah...that's why I don't usually make predictions....but in all seriousness...you'll make it happen....but maybe you're supposed to learn something in this time of not having a job....it could be worse....I had a similar situation as you in that I was very successful in my first year of teaching, but they cut my job (a little diff. than your situation but still)...and I wasn't able to teach for an entire year...and at first I was MISERABLE...but I learned a lot about perseverance, humility, etc....it only will make me a stronger teacher...and i'm convinced this time will make you stronger...I would suggest to journal your thoughts....i SOOOO wish I had done that!!

21. mistah

mistah Rookie

May 20, 2010

I shouldn't say I wasn't able...more like I didn't find out till June/July that my position was cut, so I didn't get a job for the entire last year....