Interview!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by txteach2b, Mar 31, 2010.

1. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Mar 31, 2010

I mailed out 3 applications last week for jobs recently posted. Yesterday, I emailed the principals requesting an interview. One answered back and said a committee recommends people for interviews, and she wished me good luck. Another one emailed me back, and she said she was going to contact me next week to set up an interview!!

I have been feeling, in the past couple of weeks, that this is my year. I am definitely more prepared than last year....I go to the weekly core teacher meetings, I am a TA in classes I haven't had since I was in HS (which has helped a lot), I have a letter of eligibility for hire from the university (b/c I'm completing an internship), and I have worked at getting my resume and cover letter into better shape. All in all, not landing a teaching position for this current school year has been a blessing and a tremendous learning experience.

The only things I need to do now are relax, take a deep breath, prepare more for the interview, and try not to be as petrified as last time.

This interview will be my second teaching interview ever. The last one had 9 people on the panel. I got to wondering....how many people interviewed you on your interview(s)?

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 31, 2010

I have found that it's rare for me to be interviewed by ONE person any more. Two or three are becoming more the norm. And I have also been in front panels of five and six people.

I prefer the fewer...because in larger groups there is always that one or two who look as if they would like to be ANYWHERE but in a room listening to your answers. Those folks distract me. I never can settle between...are they bored and not really an issue, or are they not liking ME.

My question is...and please feel free to give your opinions:

Let's say you are in an interview (as I was yesterday) with a principal and 2 teachers. A teacher asks a question. Where do you look when answering? I tend to look at the person who asked the question and glance every once in a while to the others. But I wonder if it should be like public speaking where your glance is ALWAYS moving...or if you should be MAINLY speaking to the principal, or to the one teacher who asked the question.

There are so many things to wonder and question about. I could drive myself mad.

Best wishes for a great interview. Let's make this our year!

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2010

Congratulations and good luck!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2010

Congratulations! I've had interviews with all sorts of different amounts of people. Anywhere from one (which doesn't happen often) to about ten. Good luck!

6. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Mar 31, 2010

congrats and good luck! that is so exciting!!

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2010

Awesome!

The only one on one interviews I've ever had were for a district level interview and charter schools. I don't expect one on one interviews.

You sound like you're confident and you should be! Don't let those details overwhelm you.

8. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Mar 31, 2010

McKenna, I would probably do what you said...I would look first at the person who asked the question, and glance at the others as I continue with the answer.

9. mistah

mistah Rookie

Mar 31, 2010

I actually do better with more people interviewing but that's my personality....I've been on many interviews....never one on one, though...ohhh...except for job fairs...but even those were interviews by HR to accept me into their county (of course this was back when there were jobs;). Good luck, though...it sounds like you have learned a lot from this past year of not teaching (you and me both)...we'll come out stronger for it and both get the right jobs...if the time is right....have your answers prepared (obviously) but also have questions you want toask them.....i've found the more questions you can ask them that show off your talents...the better...for instance, would I be able to implement book club for an after school programat your school? (See what I did there)...but you'll knock the interview out of the park...but don't make the same mistake I did and solely focus on this one interview (b/c I hate to be the bearer of bad news but their not only focusing on you)....take this time to put yourself out there for other schools/counties as well...good luck!! You're going to do FANTASTICAL!!

10. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Mar 31, 2010

I know that all too well about keeping my application in at other schools. The one interview I went on last year, they had scheduled interviews all day long, 15 minutes per interview. One of the teachers I work with is going to help me by giving practice interviews and such, so that'll help me get over my nerves and help me be better prepared.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2010

Good luck!!! I've had one on one interviews for the first round, but usually that's it.