Interview yesterday - false advertising

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SpecialEdTeache, Jul 28, 2009.

1. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Hi everyone. First of all, thanks everyone for all of the thoughtful and encouraging comments before the interview.

Oddly enough, the interview didn't last long because they posted a job opening that doesn't exist at a charter school. It was all very odd. They said the interview was in their administrative offices downtown. When I got there, it was an OLD and mammoth-sized bldg. downtown. After finding my way to the office via a tiny ‘30s-style elevator to the 3rd floor and weaving my way around through a maze to their door, I was asked to come in and sit at a funny looking table in a shabby type office which consisted of one room with a vacant receptionist desk at the front and two occupied desks by the window.

The person interviewing me seemed lost when I was sharing about my educational background. She claimed to be a PhD even though she didn’t look like it or act like it. Then, she abruptly said the opening was for an alternative high school with very troubled teens who have been using drugs since around third grade. On top of that, it was a part-time job with no benefits. Well, you could imagine my surprise, as the school that they had posted the opening for on the Dept. of Educ. website is a K-5 charter school.

I very politely said, as they could see by my information that I had sent them, I was licensed in K-9, not in high school, and that it was a pleasure to meet them and excused myself. That last part may have been a little lie. I did not see why anyone would do something that was clearly, in my opinion, deceptive.

In any event, I decided not to be upset by it all, came home, called about a position that is still open, and will call two more today.

You younger teachers won't know what I mean by this, but I felt like I was in the twilight zone.

Thanks for the well-wishes and support of this board. Upward and onward, as a friend of mine used to say :D

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 28, 2009

That's nuts. I know what you mean about the Twlight Zone though. I was just interviewed for a position I didn't apply for AND wasn't qualified for. I applied for a High School single subject position and they thought it would be fun to interview me for a Special Ed position (I am not certifed for this!!!). But, I didn't know this until the end of the interview when I started asking questions.

4. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I'm sorry that that happened to you. I wanted to ask what was the purpose in this exercise in futility, but decided not to waste any more of MY time by even saying that :lol:

I know someone who is on the board of the school that they advertised the opening for and am contemplating calling or emailing him so they will not waste anymore other teachers' time.