Interview with superintendent

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jd019, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 18, 2009

I had an interview yesterday and just got a call that they are sending two candidates to meet with the superintendent tomorrow. I have never done this before so I'm looking for advice. How will this be different from interviewing with a principal or panel of teachers?
    Thanks for any insight.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

I sure it will be slightly different because I am sure this interview is for the super to either confirm the P choice or to actually choose betweeen the two of you. I would think it could possibly be much more laid back and the super is looking for the right "fit" for the school atmosphere because obviously you are a great candidate to have made it to the second round.

Good Luck and keep us posted :)

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I would agree he is looking to see who is the best fit. The curriculum questions should mostly be finished. But, that's just my idea.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2009

Just wanted to say good luck!!!! i don't really have any advice b/c mine was just a formality...just be yourself. Good luck!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Sounds like the hiring team has narrowed the finalists down to two. Congratulations! Either way, you are doing great! In my district, the super would not have to follow scripted questions (like our panels do) and would be able to put you at ease and get to know you. If the panel had any "iffy" areas, they would have told him to try and get more info on that. Think about your interview and if it seemed like they were not exactly 100 percent sure about any of your responses? Otherwise, just go be yourself! Best to you :)

7. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

I had a 2nd intereview with a superintendent just a few weeks ago. It was definiately more laid back than the first meeting. I felt that he was just confirming the choice that the principal had made. He was absolutely just trying to get to know me as a person. By the end of the interview we were just chatting about where we grew up (we discovered we were both from the same area of Ohio). Good luck!!!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

I agree that it will probably more laid back. I'm thinking along the same lines as Shelly that if the panel interview had any reservations about an area, the super will try to get more information on that area. Good luck!

9. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 18, 2009

I actually worked for this district's latchkey program for 6 years while I was attending college. The superintendent was the community education director during that time so although I don't think he will remember me it makes me feel more relaxed!
    Thanks for the reassurance. I just got laid off and have a baby due in a few weeks so getting this job would be amazing.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2009

The district I went to school in used to do this. The school was required to send two people to the superintendent and they would pick one. You might get some of the same questions you got before or different ones. Good luck!

11. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I'll echo the free format, laid back vibe. The only time I met with a super. We ended it with him telling me about his son, who I went to HS with, and how his job hunting was going. Be charming!

I would definitely say, "You probably don't remember me but..."

12. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 19, 2009

Thanks everyone! I will report back as soon as I hear anything...off I go.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

14. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 19, 2009

I'm back...super informal and I think it went very well. Now it's a waiting game til early next week.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

Great news jd . . . hope it's real early next week . . like Monday morning 8am :)

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

Yay! I hope its great news! :D

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

Great! I hope you get it!

18. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 19, 2009

Good luck! I'm glad to hear it was informal and not any high pressure interview.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2009

Crossing my fingers!

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

Jessica - Have I missed anything? Did you find a job? I have been busy relocating and wanted to check on you too!:)

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

Thanks for asking, but no I haven't gotten anything. All I've had so far is the one screening interview I had about a month ago (that I passed), but nothing since then. Hopefully I'll get some more interview calls soon!

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

I have my fingers crossed for you all! Jessica - Let me know if you get anything back from Richland 1, 2, Lexington 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Remember Newberry is close too and also you should try Batesburg Leesville. I have a friend at the Primary School that is a principal. Let me know!

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

Oh, I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm in New York state and with all the problems I had moving away from home last year (I moved to Colorado and for a variety of reasons ended up moving back) I am staying fairly close to where I am now. But thank you for the help.

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

OOps! Sorry! Well, hope something comes from all your hard work and searching. I am rooting for you! I have a good friend that teaches in Brooklyn, NY. It is tough in her school but she loves it. You better know your Lucy Calkins if you are from NY. I understand most elementary schools are implementing her strategies.