Interview With Mary Frappier - A lifetime of struggle and dedication to children...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherman1, Feb 25, 2012.

1. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 25, 2012

Interview With Reading Teacher Mary Frappier - A Print Inverted Reader Tells All.....

Here is the first part (just 3-4 minutes) of an in depth interview with Mary Frappier, a 74 year old Providence school teacher who read and wrote perfectly before she even entered first grade.

Unfortunately for her, she did both upside-down....

Because of her continuing struggles, she decided to dedicate her life to helping children gain literacy. How would her life have been different if her teachers and parents had praised and encouraged her unique talents rather than forcing her to read "normally"?

She continues to volunteer her services two days a week in the Providence School System.

Enjoy:)
    Teacherman

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 27, 2012

Since over 50 members have viewed the first part of Mary Frappier's interview and haven't given any negative feedback yet, I'm going to assume that perhaps some people are at least willing to listen to what this she has to say.

Can you imagine the courage it took for her to give this interview? You can hear it in her voice...

Her motivation is pure - to help kids. She came to me when she heard about the work my wife and were doing. But if primary teachers are not willing to at least listen and look at the evidence, millions of children will continue to suffer through a lifetime of disability.

Here's the rest of the interview: Mary Frappier part 2

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 27, 2012

Up to 70 views and still no response...

I'll give you one that I received from Dr. Dale Jordan today. I have his permission to quote him.

Thank you, Steve, for letting me see your interview with this precious lady, who has lived so long with so many unanswered questions about herself. I am so proud of you and Sue. The pioneering work you're doing will bring blessings and hope and huge relief and encouragement to countless others as time goes by. Both of you have a special gift for interacting with others, putting them at ease, and helping them tell their stories which they've never been able to do before. This is as much a healing ministry as anything the medical profession offers the human body.

Again, I am so proud of you both.

My love and encouragement,

Dale

PS If you have not heard of Dr. Jordan, here is what he calls, his abbreviated vita:

Abbreviated Vita - Dale R. Jordan, Ph.D

Education:MS in Reading Education 1958
    Oklahoma State University

Ph. D. in Educational Psychology 1963
    University of Oklahoma

Professional Experience:

Elementary Classroom teaching and
    public school administration 10 years

University Professor of Psychology
    and Teacher Education: Administration 16 years

Private practice: Diagnosing and
    remediating reading disorders 24 years

Current Publications

Krieger Publishing: Teaching Adults with Learning Disabilities

Understanding and Managing Learning
    Disabilities in Adults

Pro-Ed Inc.: Jordan Dyslexia Assessment/Reading Program

Overcoming Dyslexia in Children,
    Adolescents, and Adults

Overcoming Attention Deficit Disorders in
    Children, Adolescents, and Adults

Scott/Foresman
    (Pearson Addison): D'Nealian Handwriting

note: Dr. Jordan doesn't list Dyslexia in the Classroom because it was published so long ago (1972) But it must have been sucessful because a Second Edition was published in 1977 by Charles E. Merrill. I personally think it was the best one for classroom teachers.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 27, 2012

Thank you for sharing.

6. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Feb 28, 2012

Wow. So powerful. You can hear the pain in her voice after all these years. What a story to tell. All preservice (and experienced) teachers should hear these experiences.

thank you

7. PastorColleen

PastorColleen New Member

Feb 29, 2012

Hello Everyobe,
    My name is Colleen and I am the Principal & Head Teacher at a small Christian Classical school in NE CT. Mr. Round came into my school - out of the blue - two years ago this August. He introduced himself as a Providence teacher who was on stress leave due to some unusual conditions. He had discovered an intervention to use with the neediest of his students - those showing signs of dyslexia - and, even though he had overwhelming proof that it was effective, he was forbidden to use his intervention. Children that had previously found success were now failing because of this; Mr. Round left his position because he simply couldn't stand by and watch students, he knew could be helped, fail.

That summer day, he asked if we had any seemingly bright students who couldn't learn how to read. I told him we had two boys - Tiger & Isaiah. The videos on Mr. Round's website don't lie, both boys are reading successfully and writing legibly and confidently...upside down.

This winter we admitted a transfer student (4th grader from a local school), who has been through a barrage of "tests" to confirm he can't read, write (disgraphia, they say), or learn to spell (all spelling test were waived in third grade to help him). He was so stressed he was beinginng to hate school. He had Special Ed. intervention 8-9 hours each week for reading, writing, and math, and was being made fun of by his peers. Watch Mr. Round's video if Jacob and see what you think.

If our school had the funding, I would hire Mr. Round today, but we don't. We are working to spread the word that failure or labeling is not needed; reading inverted or not, is reading; and reading is powerful.

I have told Mr. Round that when the educational community is willing to see, it will recognize his work as a boon for many now struggling students; it will spread like wildfire. It's only a matter of time.

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 2, 2012

9. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jun 6, 2012

Just looking over my threads from the last three years and realized that the thread title never really indicated why Mary struggled in school.

She was an upside-down (PI) reader and writer even before she entered first grade....