Interview Where I Student Taught

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by musician, Jul 19, 2015.

1. musician

musician New Member

Jul 19, 2015

I have an upcoming interview in the district where I student taught, as a travelling band teacher between two schools. One of the schools (we shall call it School A) is where I student taught, where I got along very well with the students, my co-op, and the choir director. At the other school (School B), I helped with their recruitment for the upcoming school year, and know those directors rather well too. It was one of the directors at School B who went out of his way to tell me about the position before even my co-op knew about the job.

I have only gotten well wishes and encouragement to apply for the position from those I met while student teaching. It seems very clear that I would be welcomed back if hired. However, I also know that I'm not going to get any slack for knowing anyone. Part of why I like these teachers so much is because they want what is absolutely best for their students. If I am not the best decision, I won't be hired.

My experience was so wonderful, which makes me desperately want the job. As such I am *extremely* nervous about this interview, and so I have the following questions for all of you:

1) I don't know who will be on the hiring committee, but I suspect it will likely be mostly teachers I've come to know well, and the principals from both schools. How do I greet them when I come in as compared to in an interview where I don't know anyone?

2) I know just about everything about the band program at School A at this point, and I know a lot about School B's too. As such, a lot of my standard questions to ask during an interview, I don't need to ask. Thus far all I can think to ask is "how do you see this new position changing the structure of the band program?", "Do you have a mentorship program for new teachers or anything similar?", and "as a travel position, how would time be split between the schools?"

Are there other questions I'm not thinking of?

3) Any general advice about being super nervous for an interview? Have any of you ever interviewed where you student taught? If so, how did it differ from other interviews you've had? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!!

3. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jul 19, 2015

First off, this sounds like a great opportunity and I hope you get the job!
    1) In the interview I had (for the job I got!) I knew three out of the four people on the hiring committee. One of them has known me since I was 12. I was a bit nervous about that, but it actually turned out well. I didn't start chatting as I normally would, but I didn't act like I had never met them, either.
    I would say play it by ear. I found that my hiring committee was much less formal about the interview than I had planned to be.
    2) I think those are great questions! You probably don't need to ask any more than that.
    3) Interviews are just scary. I don't know if you think this way, but I just kept reminding myself that I would get the job I was meant to have. That's not an excuse not to put your best foot forward, but it does help. And I believe it's true. :)

4. musician

musician New Member

Jul 22, 2015

Thanks for the advice! I've calmed down considerably after talking to some of my friends as well. I think what really freaked me out a few days ago was that I suddenly couldn't ask my co-op for advice. I'll update after the interview!