Interview vent

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Geauxtee, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 16, 2011

I've gone on two interviews in the last 24 hours after weeks of not having anything.

The first interview was a preliminary interview for an ESL position. It went extremely well. But again, she has to pass my name along to the P's at the elementary school and then they have to call me for the real interview so hopefully that happens soon.

I think the second interview was a disaster. I had a panel of VP and two teachers. I already has spent the first thirty minutes writing a 3 page essay over my strengths and weaknesses. Gah! The only questions I had were over classroom management, what are your plans for classroom management, what procedures do you have in place, what do you do with a belligerent student, What! you have three belligerent students... what do you do with all three of them? Then, it was like... what was the populations of the last school you taught in? Did you know this school is 99 percent Black? You have to be strong! They will see you as a white woman... Again, all there questions made be uncomfortable. I know the school is predominately black---I've been to the website, seen the kids playing outside...Not sure why they felt the need to hit the whole race angle over my head... but it the made the whole thing a turn off.
    The position was for science --least favorite subject anyway. Ugh!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 16, 2011

I think that in some areas of the US, the obvious needs to be pointed out. Some people do not realize how you might feel when you are out of your element. They were being honest and upfront in the interview. It may have made you uncomfortable. But if you cannot handle the interview panel, how will you handle the parent of a student that starts screaming at you that you are a racist when you send her child to the office for bullying another student? What will you do when the parent calls you names and the student resists your authority every single day? There are some really tough areas and they were giving you a taste. It was pretty smart of them. ;)

Congrats on the first interview. Focus on the positive. I hope you get a call back and the NEXT interview is your dream job!!!!!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2011

Did you have a question or are you just venting?

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 16, 2011

Thanks SC for your feedback. In hindsight, I am glad they were forthright with me. Their mode of questioning and how one teacher teared up during the whole ordeal just made me feel weird.

I am thinking positive!

Czacza, yep, just a vent...