Interview updates. Not sure if public school teaching for me

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 6, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 6, 2018

Hello Everyone. I had two interviews today, and I realized that Early Childhood Education is my heart and soul. I love it! The first interview was with the Telamon Corporation which is a company that offers preschool and pre-k children that have parents as migrant workers. The school has the same work hours like public school. Except their school year begins in April and ends in December. We are then off for three months (January, Feb, and March) The downside is if I do accept this position I may not have a summer break or a spring break. The interview went so well that I was called to do a second interview with the center director at her preschool. I can't wait to meet her. Hopefully, this means I may have the position. Also, my pay starts at 16.84 per hour.

The High School Paraprofessional position was HORRIBLE!. The interview was at 1:45 and the administrators were LATE TO THE INTERVIEW. As soon as I got in my car on the highway, I got a call urging me to come back in that they were sorry. They were in a committee meeting. If they were professional, they should have relayed this message to the receptionist who by the way was very rude.

The receptionist at the front desk had a serious attitude problem. She was rolling her eyes at me for no reason. I assumed she just did not like her job and wanted to leave work.

The interview was very short because I purposely gave them to the point answers to their questions. Also, the principal seemed a little creep. He kept staring at me and his eyes were looking at me up and down as I walked in the room. He gave me a very uncomfortable feeling. The entire culture of the school screams unprofessional. I refuse to drive 40 mins to teach with unethical people. I hope this job does not call me back,

This experience has made me realize that I enjoy Early Childhood Education. I should have pursued a Masters in ECE instead of Elementary Education. Although I have a change of heart, I am too far into my degree to quit. I will obtain a MEd and a teaching certificate. Maybe I can become a Pre-Kindergarten teacher through Telamon. They require Pre-kindergarten teachers to have a BA and teacher cert. The only aspect of teaching in preschools that they often offer no job security like public schools. However, their prek position offer benefits just like public school teachers

Public schools are too political, and some are full of drama. I understand not all, but that school district needs some help. I hate even to say I got my education from there. I think I will fair well in small private or charter schools

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 6, 2018

Meh.

4. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 6, 2018

?

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Feb 6, 2018

I think a lot of the complaints about the public school are debatable. Meetings run late, issues arise, the office is grand central station - hectic and busy. Principals are of course going to thoroughly look over their candidates before hiring. There is a lot riding on who they welcome into their building and school community.
    If your heart calls for ECE, then pursue that?

Also - you left the interview before they called you inside? Even if they are late, most wait until administration is ready.

Hokiegrad1993 and svassillion like this.
  6. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Feb 6, 2018

You may want to be careful with how you view the job market. In my state teachers (or paras) can't be picky about pay or waiting for their dream grade when the number of qualified applicants is in the hundreds and you're not even out of school. When I was looking to get into a school I would have waited three hours for an interview that was running behind. Committee meetings will always take precedence over a new hire at any school.

The issues you mentioned with public schools are universal with charter and private schools. Some are run well, some are not. You may be disappointed to take a job outside of public ed to only find similar problems.

anon55 likes this.
  7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 6, 2018

Part of interviewing is also for you to decide if the school is a place you want to work. While I think your impressions may be hasty, I wasn't there, so you have to go with your gut. Here's hoping you get the job you want.

8. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Comrade

Feb 6, 2018

Always follow your heart. It will never misguide you. It's so wonderful that you're passionate about early childhood education. I feel the same way about literature. Follow that dream. :)

9. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 6, 2018

No. They should be more professional but I do understand your point. Yes. ECE is the route for me

10. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 6, 2018

I know this district very well. I went to school there and I know of many teachers that left the district because of their problems. Also, the school has a major teacher shortage.

11. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 6, 2018

Yea, I did not have a good feeling at all

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2018

Corporate preK is going to be political, dont fool yourself. For me, public school salary trumps hourly preK every time. Also oportunitites for professional growth and development are more available in public schools. Those are important to many professional educators. If preK is calling you though, you should follow that intuition...I'm sure it’s the right place for you

Caesar753 and svassillion like this.
  13. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 6, 2018

Thanks a lot. Preschool teachers are hourly but state prek teachers are salaried. By the time, I heard about the openings the Prek position was filled

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2018

If you want stability while teaching PreK, I would suggest earning an endorsement in SPED, since PreK with disabilities is a more elite and long term position, certificated and in demand in virtually all districts. Being on the salary guide beats being paid hourly by a great deal.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 7, 2018

I don't think not having a spring break or summer break should cloud your decision. You need to work (from what you have said in other posts).

16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 7, 2018

"Meh" was my way of saying that there were so many things wrong with what I just read, but I wouldn't be polite for me to point them out.

czacza and TeacherCuriousExplore like this.
  17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2018

As far as the interviews, per se, I can't imagine making the excessive round trip for the para position, but find it odd that this school you graduated from now seems creepy and terrible. As far as the migrant school, who cares if you get a summer and spring break? Welcome to the real world. Most people are happy to get their 2 weeks of vacation a year, so being off for 3 months seems to leave little to complain about. You would, however, have to budget carefully, since my guess is that there will be no money coming in during those off months. That's not anything new for teachers - I don't get paid over the summer, and yet I survive. I would be much more concerned with making sure I received benefits all year.

As for drama - every school, anywhere, any type. They all have it and you can stir the pot and make it worse, or find a way to avoid it for the most part - that's up to you.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  18. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 7, 2018

Yes. Everything has changed since I graduated. It's a mess there. Your advice is so golden! You helped me out a lot. I have now start saving money and have switched to a federal credit union as a bank. I put at least 20.00-50.00 in my savings every other week. I will also be investing in life insurance and in retirement. Thanks for your input

19. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 7, 2018

I agree very much and the place seems like its really fun

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 8, 2018

My friend worked at a migrant school and she really liked it. She had no breaks except for a few vacation days. She never knew what students she would have on any given day because some kids might be gone and new ones would come all the time.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 9, 2018

Well, continue chugging along like I know you are to find as good a fit for you as possible. I know nothing's going to be perfect because life isn't perfect, but we do the best we can! I know it's not easy.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 13, 2018

You may not have a summer or spring break, but you would have 3 months off, January, February, March. That's more time then I get off. On the plus side you could take your vacation in January/early February before Spring break or go at the very beginning or end of Spring break season. I see possibilities here, it's not summer break, but oh well.

If you're serious about ECE, get that endorsement! You can add it after you get your teaching cert.

I would think that most schools are political in nature, public, charter or private. Each school has its own set of issues, even within a district.