Interview Tuesday - Wants to "talk for about 30 minutes"

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SpecialEdTeache, Aug 7, 2009.

1. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Aug 7, 2009

Hey everyone,

Has anyone ever had one of these interviews to talk for about 30 minutes? Should I assume she will have a "candidate mill" turning out and will call back the best three or something like that?

3. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

You might be going through the 1st round or screening interview. Otherwise, the person might just have told you 30 mins. to give you an idea of how long the interview will take.

4. SpecialEdTeache

Aug 7, 2009

Thanks, Teacherella. This is only my second interview this summer and the first was a false job listing. So, I'm very much looking forward to it...only I'm not sure how to impress her with only 30 minutes. When they say, "Tell me about yourself," should I have a short gist of my tching exp memorized and say it really fast? I just don't know what to do in that amount of time.

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

You'd be surprised at what all you can talk about in 30 min. Most of my interviews have been on average 30 min although I have had them last for over an hour or as short as 20 min. It depends in large part on how the interview is presented and what the questions are like.

In regards to the, "Tell me about yourself," question... I usually talk about where I grew up, what the schools were like, what I was and am currently involved in (activities, hobbies, etc), where I went to college and what I did there, what i've been doing for the past year (while not teaching or subbing) and then a brief reason for why I'm interested in this opening. It's pretty brief, maybe around 3-4 min? I find it fairly easy to read whether or not the interviewer(s) seem interested in my answer or not so if I need to I can cut some things out or talk more about a specific area.

6. SpecialEdTeache

Aug 8, 2009

OK. That's helpful. Thanks Newbie!

7. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

For the "tell me about yourself" question, I give a mixture of my educational background, teaching experience, and talk a little bit about myself (my hobbies).

8. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

I agree with first round. Good Luck!