Interview Tues. with M. school - need more info. about them

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by SpecialEdTeache, Aug 9, 2009.

1. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Aug 9, 2009

Hi everyone,

I will be interviewing with a M. school Tues. that is also a state charter school. I'm a little fuzzy about HOW a tchr lets kids work at their own pace and still teach a lesson that they would all learn from????

Also, would I still get years exp. from the state for every yr. I would teach there?

Also, how does discipline work in a M. school?

Thanks!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

Those are all very good questions to ask at the interview. I think the answer to each one of those could be as individual as the teacher and school.

"Discipline" in a montessori school actually is more like a respect based environment. The expectation is that everyone will respect each other and as a result, children learn intrinsically how to be appropriate with one another. That's the goal. Rewards, incentives, etc. are not used because those are of an extrinsic nature.

I don't know about state experience....I've never taught in a charter school.

Let us know how it goes!

4. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Aug 9, 2009

Thanks, Tracy! How are the lesson taught? I don't understand about each child working at his/her own pace. Does that mean there are no deadlines for work, or that each child has his/her own deadline? I don't understand. Also, how does one introduce new concepts? Individually?

I'm lost. How do you do it in your classroom?

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

What age group will you be interviewing for? It depends upon the age group. I teach 3-6 yr olds and what I do is vastly different than what my son did for 3 years in the 6-9 yr old space and that is even more different than what he'll do next year in the 9-12 yr old space.

I know that for my children, I basically have the equivalent of IEP's for each and every one. I have goals for them and in our morning work time we work on that, in addition to the children choosing their own works. We as a team meet once a week and go over the progress the children have made, adjust the goals as needed and plan for the next week.

For what age group is this interview?