Interview Treats

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mopar, Jun 15, 2012.

1. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2012

Okay, this is the first I've ever seen this. My school is hiring a part-time teacher for next year. At one of the interviews, the person interviewing for the position brought in treats for the team. She made some chocolate cookie bars. What do you guys think about an interviewee bringing in treats?

Also, would you eat them? I wasn't really sure, so I didn't have any. However, my principal did have one.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 15, 2012

Hmm.. I have never heard of that. It seems like she was trying to use treats as a way to maybe make up for something she is lacking? I would probably not eat one.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2012

As much as I am addicted to baking, I'd never bring treats to an interview. It just seems... weird.

5. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jun 15, 2012

I would much rather bring treats when I go and sign my contract.

6. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 15, 2012

At a Dr. visit yesterday, I was discussing my frustration with not finding work yet. Turns out my teacher's daughter recently was hired to teach and my Dr. recommended that I bake cookies and bring them along with my resume to various schools. I don't think I could do that or bring treats to an interview either. I like gutterballjen's idea though, bring them when signing the contract!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 15, 2012

It sounds a little too much like bribery / pandering to me. Thank you treats after you've signed the contract are a much better route! I take treats to our admin and support staff as often as I can afford it.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 15, 2012

We have had teachers mention when we ask about their hobbies, etc. that they bake and that always gets a good reaction (you know teachers and food). But I've never heard of anyone actually bringing something

9. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 15, 2012

I second that. I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but that is how it would be received by the interview panel.

I made treats for everyone in my building (and that includes everyone who was on the interview panel when I was hired) for the last day of school as a "thank you" for making my first year at the school so wonderful. I think you should bring a thank gift only after the administration has given you something significant. A contract? That's deserving of a thank you gift. An interview? Not so much.

10. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 15, 2012

Nope, not a chance.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 15, 2012

That's weird.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2012

I can see that coming from a very genuine place in many people, but I do think most people should be aware enough to recognize that others might not read it that way.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2012

Good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought this was a little odd. My principal didn't seem to think so, but the other two of us were a bit taken back by the whole experience.

I'm sure that the candidate didn't mean it as bribery or anything. I think she was just trying to do something nice (she knew we had interviews most of the day), but still...

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2012

I think she was just trying to look nice/show a genuine gesture. I wouldn't react negatively- I know in my former school, we used to joke that the teachers were like vultures with free food, so I can almost guarantee it would have been well received there. However, that school did just have a more laid back vibe, so something like that might have actually gone a long way to prove that that candidate would fit in well. If it looked good, I probably would have eaten one!

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 16, 2012

It sounds a little weird. The only time it might not be too weird is if the person is interviewing for a cooking or FACS teacher. Then it would she could bring a bunch of treats instead of a portfolio LOL

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 16, 2012

My cooperating teacher did this during my student teaching, and literally every other teacher in the teacher's lounge ripped on her when she was out delivering the goods.

17. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 16, 2012

I think it rings as desperate (even if many job seekers are desperate). However, if I were on the interview team, I would eat one. Why not? Ha. I don't bake, but even if I did, I couldn't imagine trying this tactic. I would feel so weird about coming into an interview with treats.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2012

I think her intentions were probably kind.

But I don't think it's a good idea. The focus at the interview should be on your teaching abilities. Unless you're going for a job that involves baking, I think the goodies would serve as a distraction.

That said, I would certainly take a sample. It seems to me that someone applying for a job would probably be fairly careful not to poison her potential employers.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 16, 2012

She probably had good intentions and researched her school.

My school does not allow the students to bring in junk food for parties. They're not suppose to for lunches either, but that is not as strictly enforced.

As a staff we do breakfast twice a month. It is almost always healthy. Doughnuts are rare.

20. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 16, 2012

I would do it as a thank you when I am offered the job. Although it's sooooo tempting to try taking some to an interview, I just think that's too over the top.

21. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 16, 2012

It seems unprofessional to me. I agree with the others, bring treats after you are hired.

22. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

If I were the interviewer, although I've never been, I would feel like she was a total fake and perhaps trying to slip me some roofies. lol

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 17, 2012

Do you really believe that she would try that? She's trying to get a job.

24. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 17, 2012

I'd think the person was being a suck up. Like other posters have said, bringing baked treats after being given the position would seem like a better option.

25. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

Whoa. I apologize for making a joke. :unsure:

26. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2012

Did you hire her?

27. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2012

HEY! It's a FREE country and I am game when people bring in treats! I would gladly eat a cookie or two, BUT I would not let it weigh in on the decision of hiring her. Maybe it is a cultural thing for her, SO I would not look at it as bribery, and I would even ask her about why she brought the treats. I would say also, before I eat one, "You know this is not going to get you the job." :D
    Rebel1

28. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 17, 2012

I can see how people may have good intentions, but I think it's inappropriate. Imagine if someone brought gifts to a corporate business-type interview. Same concept. Agreed with others that bringing treats AFTER you've been offered a position would be much better.

29. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jun 17, 2012

Did she get it?

30. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jun 18, 2012

How could anyone feel like or have the time to bake before an interview! Of all the interviews that I have ever had, this is the last thing that would have popped into my mind! I've always been too worried about what I would wear and say.

31. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 18, 2012

I feel the same way before an interview, but perhaps baking relaxes her. Bringing treats into an interview is not something I would do. It just doesn't seem appropriate to me.

32. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 18, 2012

Actually now that I remember...I had one interview where the interviewer gave ME (the interviewee) food. It was interesting...didn't get the job, but it was a nice way to make me comfortable.

33. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 19, 2012

This sounds way scary to do. I would think it looks like a bribe. FACS may be okay to do.

So what if it starts the trend. What would people think if I, as a guy brings in cookies. That looks like a total suck-up bribe.

The other side is do you accept food or drink offered. I have never ever accepted either. I see it as one more thing to go wrong that I may spill on desk or me. I might have crumbs on my suit. NOPE.

34. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jun 19, 2012

I guess it would make sense if you would be teaching a cooking class at a high school, but otherwise I think it would serve as a distraction. I'm sure her intentions were fine, but bringing baked goods seems a bit strange to me.

35. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 19, 2012

It's funny, today as I was making cookies for a friend I thought to myself "Too bad it would be way too weird to bring my awesome cookies to my interview on Monday." I think I would do it for a FCS position though. When I taught FCS, I had my students sell low fat baked goods that met the PA nutritional standards and I'd bring in a few samples to show what I could bring to their bake sales that are nutritious and delicious. But I agree with the others, bringing them to a regular interview just seems odd, though I can see how it was well intentioned.

36. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2012

That's tacky. I would have rolled my eyes if I was an interviewer. Has the job market really gotten that bad?

Although, I would totally have eaten one after they left. lol.

37. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 19, 2012

The job market really has gotten that bad, but I agree with you...it would look odd.

It just goes to show how desperate people can feel. Some people were joking the other day about using colored paper for resumes, and I can totally sympathize.

There are things being done now during the search process that would have been unheard of 20 years ago. For example, calling or emailing principals or contacting them outside of the normal search process. That used to be a big no-no, but it seems like it is becoming more commonplace now.

38. Sweets2005

Sweets2005 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012

I think its super lame! And if the interviewer gave me a cookie, I would be nervous to eat it, like what if chocolate stayed on my tooth or I accidentally spit or something lol ;) I remember once an interviewer handed me a tiny dixie cup of water (which was weird, I didn't even ask for it) and it was so full and I was so nervous, my hand was shaking badly and you could see the cup/water just a quivering LOL

39. wonder8

wonder8 Rookie

Jun 20, 2012

I went to an interview Monday. I was very early (1 hr.) as I was waiting in my car, reviewing my notes I saw the person that was interviewing before me walk to the building. He was carring a small bud vase with a few flowers in it. I supposed it was for the interview team.

40. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

I doubt she'll get the job as it is most likely going to an internal candidate (so long as she passes the test).